By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Gasthof zum Goldenen Sternen - Basel, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 33.289 E 007° 36.123
32T E 394826 N 5267769
Quick Description: The oldest restaurant of Basel, relocated to a new address in the 1970s after over 600 years of existence.
Location: Basel Stadt, Switzerland
Date Posted: 1/22/2014 6:46:59 AM
Waymark Code: WMJZK4
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 4

Long Description:
EN: The inn Gasthof Zum Goldenen Sternen (Golden Star) is considered the oldest restaurant in the city. It was first mentioned in 1349, and in 1501 it was home to the diplomats of the ten old cantons on the accession of Basel to the Swiss Confederation. Even today, the place is often used for state receptions.

Next to the original facade, the three-story late-Gothic building has many valuable murals, ceiling moldings and carvings of the Gothic and Baroque periods.

The largest part of the house probably dates from the 15th or early 16 century; until 1873, however, it was called "the Black Stars". The restaurant was located in Aeschenvorstadt at that time. In 1964, the house became victim of a road widening and was dismantled brick by brick, then the material was investigated and stored. In 1973/74 it was rebuilt at St. Alban-Rheinweg in its original shape.

DE: Der Gasthof zum Goldenen Sternen gilt als das älteste Restaurant der Stadt. Es wurde 1349 erstmals erwähnt und beherbergte 1501 die Gesandschaft der zehn Orte beim Beitritt Basels zur Eidgenossenschaft. Auch heute noch wird das Lokal gerne für Staatsempfänge genutzt.

Das dreistöckige spätgotische Gebäude besitzt neben der ursprünglichen Fassade auch viele wertvolle Wandmalereien, Deckenverzierungen und Schnitzereien aus der Gotik und dem Barock.

Der grösste Teil des Hauses, das bis 1873 allerdings noch "zum Schwarzen Sternen" hiess, stammt wohl aus dem 15. oder frühen 16. Jahrhundert. Das Restaurant befand sich damals noch in der Aeschenvorstadt. 1964 musste das Haus einer Strassenverbreiterung weichen und wurde Stein für Stein abgetragen, untersucht und eingelagert. 1973/74 wurde es dann originalgetreu am St. Alban-Rheinweg wieder aufgebaut.
Original Location: N 47° 33.131 W 007° 35.616

How it was moved: Disassembled

Type of move: Inside City

Building Status: Private

Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell of your visit. Post an original photograph if possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Relocated Structures
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.