By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

St. Jakob — Bamberg, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member prussel
N 49° 53.455 E 010° 52.645
32U E 634849 N 5528192
Quick Description: St. James, begun in 1073 under Bishop Hermann, is one of the oldest churches in Bamberg and stands a few meters above the Cathedral Hill on the Jacobsberg, one of the "seven hills" of Bamberg
Location: Bayern, Germany
Date Posted: 12/3/2013 2:31:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMJM7G
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 15

Long Description:

Die Jakobskirche wurde im Jahr 1073 unter Bischof Hermann begonnen und 1109 durch Bischof Otto vollendet. Sie ist nur wenig jünger als der Bamberger Dom und gibt heute einen Eindruck, wie der Dom ursprünglich innen ausgesehen haben kann. Sie ist eine flach gedeckte, doppelchörige, kreuzförmige Säulenbasilika, die nach dem Vorbild des Doms das Querschiff im Westen hat.
Von den beiden Chören wurde der westliche im 15. Jahrhundert gotisch erneuert. Die östliche Apsis 1771 unter Bischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim durch eine Barockfassade maskiert. Zugleich legte man den südlichen halbfertigen Turm ein und bekrönte den nördlichen mit einem Zwiebelhelm. Von 1866 bis 1882 wurde die Kirche reromanisiert. Nach einer sorgfältigen Restaurierung in den 1990er-Jahren ist sie heute die einzige fast vollständig romanische Kirche der Stadt.

St. James church was begun in 1073 under Bishop Hermann and completed in 1109 by Bishop Otto. It is not much younger than the Bamberg Cathedral and is today an impression of how the cathedral may have originally looked inside. It is a flat-roofed, double choir cruciform pillars Basilica, after the model of the cathedral has the transept to the west.
Of the two choirs, the Western choir was Gothic renewed in the 15th Century. Under Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim, the eastern apse masked by a Baroque façade in 1771. At the same time the southern semi-finished tower was levelled down and the northern was crowned with an onion dome. From 1866 to 1882 the church was re-romanized. After a careful restoration in the 1990s, it is today the only almost fully Romanesque church of the city.

Quelle / source: wikipedia

Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ZedenaT visited St. Jakob — Bamberg, Germany 10/25/2018 ZedenaT visited it
DadVader visited St. Jakob — Bamberg, Germany 10/5/2016 DadVader visited it
GeoLog81 visited St. Jakob — Bamberg, Germany 5/5/2015 GeoLog81 visited it
*Team Krombaer* visited St. Jakob — Bamberg, Germany 12/10/2013 *Team Krombaer* visited it

View all visits/logs