Standing statue of George Washington in his younger years when he was a major. He is wearing a long overcoat, trousers and tall boots. He is holding his hat in one hand and his musket in his other. The bronze sculpture was sculpted by Susan Luery in 2007-2008. The statue is standing on a stone base with plaques commemorating different times George Washington was in the Cumberland area.
Inscription of plaques:
At the age of sixteen, George Washington first visited Allegany County, (then Frederick County), and was the guest of Thomas Cresap, at Oldtown. He had been employed by Col. Wm. Fairfax to survey the valleys of Patterson Creek and the South Branch of the Potomac, part of the vast tract of land of which Fairfax was proprietor
In order to settle a territory dispute between England and France over land in Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, Virginia governor Dinwiddie ordered Major Washington to Wills Creek (Cumberland), then on to Fort Leboef (near Erie, Pa.) to deliver an order of withdrawal of the French from English-claimed territory. The French refused to leave, asserting possession by prior claim.
Washington, now a Lt. Colonel, was ordered to lead a company of Virginia militia to the Forks of the Monongahela and Allegany Rivers to build and defend a fort. New of a takeover of the site by the French compelled Washington to convene a War Council at Wills Creek. It was decided to lead his company on, finally engaging the French at Fort Necessity. A superior French army defeated the Virginia militia, allowing the survivors to return East.
Responding to the refusal to accept the British claim, English Gen. Edward Braddock was ordered to America. Washington was assigned to his staff. The British expeditionary force assembled on this site. French defenders at Ft. Duquesne (Pittsburgh) prepared an ambush which succeeded in defeating the British force. Braddock was mortally wounded. The survivors were led back to Ft. Cumberland by George Washington
With a new Prime Minister in England, Wm. Pitt, a new effort was launched to conquer Fort Duquesne. General John Forbes was assigned as Commander. Virginia militia was mustered here at Fort Cumberland and command by Colonel Washington. His troops joined Forbes at Raystown, (Bedford, Pa), then marched to defeat the French at Ft. Duquesne, which was renamed Ft. Pitt.
President Washington's Last Visit - 1794
On October 16, 1794, President George Washington arrived in Cumberland to review about 5,000 troops of the Maryland and Virginia militia gathered here during the Whiskey Rebellion. A few days later, this militia army assembled upon the parade ground of old Fort Cumberland, where the Allegany County Courthouse now stands. The President appeared dressed in his full military uniform, and the entire population of the town was present to witness the historic event. General Washington rode along the line from right to left, and was loudly cheered by the men. Afterwards the command marched in review, and Washington raised his hat as a salute, while they passed. Generals Harry Lee and Daniel Morgan also were present and participated.