Brooklyn Historical Society Museum - Brooklyn, CT
N 41° 47.184 W 071° 57.000
19T E 254860 N 4630268
Quick Description: The Brooklyn Historical Society Museum building is a part of the Brooklyn Green Historic District, situated near the crossroads of Highway 6 and Highway 169, in Brooklyn, Connecticut.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 10/17/2013 12:40:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMJA2J
"Located behind the equestrian statue of Revolutionary War hero General Israel Putnam, just south of the intersection of Routes 6 and 169 in the center of Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum provides visitors with changing exhibits on local history and permanent exhibits of the General Putnam Gallery. Includes “Israel Putnam: Facets of a Hero,” which tells about Putnam’s life as a farmer, soldier, tavern owner, and folk hero; and “General Israel Putnam Remembered,” which tells the story of the creation of his equestrian monument. Located behind the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum is the 19th century law office of Daniel Putnam Tyler, General Putnam’s great-grandson, who practiced law in Brooklyn from 1822 until his death in 1875. Exhibits interpret Tyler’s colorful career as a lawyer, judge, clerk of the Windham County Superior Court and County Courts, Representative to the Connecticut General Assembly, Secretary of State and publisher of “The Harrisonian,” a partisan political newspaper. Although the Law Office is free and has the same hours as the museum, it is not handicapped accessible. A panel in the museum provides photographs and information about the Law Office." SOURCE
"When the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum opened for the 2007season, it occupied the entire first floor of the building immediately behind the equestrian statue of General Israel Putnam at 25 Canterbury Road. This marked an important expansion. The exhibit space at the rear of the building which had housed the museum since 2000 became the General Putnam Gallery with two permanent exhibits dedicated to Brooklyn’s Revolutionary War hero: “Israel Putnam: Facets of a Hero” which tells about Putnam’s life as farmer, soldier, tavern owner, and folk hero and “General Israel Putnam Remembered” which tells the story of the creation of his imposing monument. The larger gallery at the front has become the Special Exhibit Gallery which this year features an exhibition that commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Civil War: “Civil War Diaries” tells the story of the creation and early years of the 1st South Carolina Volunteers, the first regiment of freed slaves to be mustered in to fight for the Union, through the letters and diaries of its Colonel, Thomas Wentworth Higginson, its Surgeon, Major Seth Rogers, and one of its Captains, James S. Rogers. As these three individuals were staunch abolitionists, there is also information about “Brooklyn’s Abolitionists,” the most notable of whom was Brooklyn’s Unitarian minister the Reverend Samuel J. May.
The Brooklyn Historical Society Museum building and the Daniel Putnam Tyler Law Office have been owned by the society since 1972, just two years after its founding. It was in 1972 that Rainsford and Ruth Sherman donated the Daniel Putnam Law Office to the society to use as a museum and offered the present-day museum building for purchase.
We welcome you to join us any Wednesday or Sunday, from 1 to 5 p.m., beginning on Wednesday, May 22nd through Sunday, October 13th, to view the exhibits of the General Putnam Gallery as well as the Civil War Exhibit. The Brooklyn Historical Society Museum and the Daniel Putnam Tyler Law Office will also be open by appointment through Walktober and thereafter. To make an appointment contact Curator Elaine Knowlton at 860-774-7728. There is no admission charge to either museum. Remember that the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum is air conditioned as well as handicapped accessible. " SOURCE
The National Register of Historic Place Inventory - Nomination Form for the Brooklyn Green Historic District describes the Museum building as follows:
"Historical Society Building, c. 1900, 2% stories, rectangularwith 2 story shed roof addition on north side, frame, fieldstone foundation, gable roof with ridge perpendicular and asphalt shingles, one brick chimney, clapboards and wood shingles in attic gables. Decorative features: 2-over-2 sash on upper floor with large modern multi-pane windows downstairs; main entrance has plain doorframe* Outbuildings: two-bay garage in rear. Note: this building was once the servants 1 quarters for Mortlake Manor which stood next door, and afterwards was used as a store and the U.S. Post Office." SOURCE