By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries - Lisbon, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Metro2
N 38° 41.609 W 009° 12.338
29S E 482117 N 4282782
Quick Description: Vasco da Gama is the third person portrayed on the west side of the Monument to the Discoveries in Lisbon.
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Date Posted: 9/23/2013 8:19:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ4PX
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
Views: 15

Long Description:
Each side of the Monument to the Discoveries (Padrão Descobrimentos) in Lisbon depicts different people. On the west side, Vasco da Gama is third after Henry the Navigator and King Alfonso V.
Da Gama is depicted as fairly young, one leg bent as he places his weight on the one behind. He looks forward as his left hand rests on the hilt of his sword. He is followed by depictions of Alfonso Baldala and then by Pedro Alvares Cabral. See this Wikipedia page for a photo detailing the identity of each figure on the west side of the Monument. (visit link)

Wikipedia's page for the Monument itself (visit link) informs us:
"It was conceived in 1939 by Portuguese architect José Ângelo Cottinelli Telmo, and sculptor Leopoldo de Almeida, as a temporary beacon during the Portuguese World Fair opening in June 1940.[1] The Monument to the Discoveries represented a romanticized idealization of the Portuguese exploration that was typical of the Estado Novo regime of António de Oliveira Salazar. It was originally constructed as a temporary construction, located in the Praça do Império as part of an urban renewal project favoured by minister Duarte Pacheco, but with the resistance of Cottinelli Telmo. Yet, by June 1943, the original structure was demolished after the exposition as there was no concrete formalization of the project.

On 3 February 1958, in decree No. 41-517, the government, through the Ministério de Obras Publicas (Ministry of Public Works), the Overseas Provinces and the Câmara Municipal of Lisbon, promoted the intent to construct a permanent Monument to the Discoveries. Between November 1958 and January 1960, the new monument was constructed in cement and rose-tinted stone (from Leiria), and the statues sculpted from limestone excavated from the region of Sintra. The new project was enlarged from the original 1940 model as part of the commemorations to celebrate the fifth centennial of the death of Infante Henry the Navigator.

Although the project was based on Cottinelli Telmo's plan, he was replaced after his death by António Pardal Monteiro (as primary architect), and stability studies were completed under the direction of engineers Edgar Cardoso, Ruy Correia and António Abreu.[1] The interior plan was executed by António Pardal Monteiro, who also worked with Cristino da Silva to plan the monumental square. The northern part of the property was completed by the firm Pardal Monteiro, while the southern area was completed by José Raimundo. The sculptures were modeled by Leopoldo de Almeida, with the assistance of sculptors Soares Branco and António Santos, using models by António Cândido and Carlos Escobar (under the direction of António Branco and Alfredo Henriques).

Inaugurated on 9 August 1960, it was one of several projects nationwide that were intended to mark the Comemorações Henriquinas (the celebrations marking the anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator). Yet it was not completely finished until 10 October 1960, being transferred to the responsibility of the Administração Geral do Porto de Lisboa (General Administration of the Port of Lisbon).

Although in 1962, an accord was signed with the Câmara Municipal of Lisbon to transfer its title, between 1960 and 1979 nothing was done with the monument. A document (Despacho No.57/P/79) published in the municipal journal (No. 13260, 5 November 1979) advanced the city's intention to produce a permanent exhibition, but it was only in 1985 that public works completed the cultural centre (Portuguese: Centro Cultural das Descobertas) which inaugurated public access to the top of the structure, in addition to creating spaces for an observation deck, auditorium and hall for exhibitions.

In April 2003, the management of the Padrão dos Descobrimentos was placed in the custody of the public company Gestão de Equipamentos e Animação Cultural (EGEAC, E.E.M.)."
Related website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Tell your story when you visit a waymark. Add a picture of it's current condition. Have fun.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vasco da Gama
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
qc2m visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 10/28/2018 qc2m visited it
Ariberna visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 5/14/2016 Ariberna visited it
merlot visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 5/2/2015 merlot visited it
sunnyhill_Ahrtal visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 5/1/2014 sunnyhill_Ahrtal visited it
Casper&Aero visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 9/25/2013 Casper&Aero visited it
Metro2 visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 9/23/2013 Metro2 visited it
ThePacman visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 7/31/2013 ThePacman visited it
fern ab visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 5/23/2012 fern ab visited it
Kelux visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 11/19/2011 Kelux visited it
bmps2003 visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 9/15/2006 bmps2003 visited it
Chickilim visited Vasco da Gama on the Monument to the Discoveries  -  Lisbon, Portugal 8/8/2000 Chickilim visited it

View all visits/logs