By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Museon Arlaten - Arles, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member razalas
N 43° 40.589 E 004° 37.560
31T E 631070 N 4837226
Quick Description: Founded by the poet Frédéric Mistral in 1896. It exhibits costumes, furniture, work tools, objects of worship, illustrating Provençal life in the 19th century.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 9/16/2013 10:06:23 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ3AH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Biquidou
Views: 11

Long Description:
[EN]
"Between 1471 and 1505 , the Castellane , lords of Fos and Laval Chanant , did build a large house in the neighborhood of the Hotel -Dieu or New-Market ( now a district of the city ) . Now owned by the Marquis de Calvisson heritage , the hotel was sold in 1648 to the Society of Jesuits who set up a school in which a chapel was added to the north, in 1652. Between 1738 and 1748 , the establishment was rebuilt in its southern part , at the expense of the city. The operation was designed by the architect Mauric Nîmes and Arles conducted by Jacques Imbert . The Jesuits , banned in the city in 1763 by decree of the Parliament of Provence, had to leave the city before having completed the decoration of the building . The college became a city in the nineteenth century , was transferred Emile Combes boulevard. The hotel , abandoned , turned out to be the perfect place to house the collections of Frederic Mistral . Indeed , they , offered to the public's curiosity since 1899 , suffered from a lack of space. Granted by the municipality in 1906, the building was restored and converted and the new exhibition site opened in 1909. The hotel has since become departmental museum of ethnography.

Recent restorations are part of a dual purpose : conservation and enhancement of the architecture of the building , adapting to its museum function. The covers are offered more protection against rainwater. Decommissioning of water building was the priority and therefore gave rise to a revision round roof tiles . On this occasion, the damaged structural elements were replaced , and insulation installation . The south facade , were the subject of a repointing of masonry , which were coated with a fat lime mortar . The Pillars of the southwest gallery and framing berries were washed and brushed . On the rue de la République , to avoid degradation of facings upwelling , a ventilated drainage tunnel was fitted in front of the facade. In conjunction with this work, the continued redevelopment of the second floor of the museum in order to present to the public the entire collection : Interior renovation of rooms and structures, consolidation of the floor, making a new tile to the old. Finally, the upgrading of water and electricity networks and installation Showcase allowed the public opening of the new rooms in 1987." (visit link)

[FR]
"Entre 1471 et 1505, les Castellane, seigneurs de Fos et de Laval de Chanant, firent édifier une vaste demeure dans la quartier de l’Hôtel-Dieu ou Marché-Neuf (aujourd’hui quartier de la Cité). Devenu propriété par héritage du marquis de Calvisson, l’hôtel fut vendu en 1648 à la Compagnie des Jésuites qui y installa un collège, auquel une chapelle fut ajoutée au nord, en 1652. Entre 1738 et 1748, l’établissement fut rebâti dans sa partie méridionale, au frais de la ville. L’opération fut dessinée par l’architecte nîmois Mauric et réalisée par l’Arlésien Jacques Imbert. Les Jésuites, proscrits de la ville en 1763 par arrêt du parlement de Provence, durent quitter la ville avant d’avoir fait achever la décoration de l’édifice. Le collège, devenu municipal au XIXe siècle, fut transféré boulevard Emile-Combes. L’hôtel, désaffecté, s’avéra être le lieu idéal pour abriter les collections de Frédéric Mistral. En effet, celles-ci, offertes à la curiosité du public depuis 1899, souffraient d’un manque de place. Concédé par la municipalité en 1906, l’édifice fut restauré et aménagé et le nouveau site d’exposition inauguré en 1909. L’établissement est devenu depuis musée départemental d’ethnographie.

Les récentes restaurations s’inscrivent dans un double objectif : conservation et mise en valeur de l’architecture de l’édifice ; adaptation à sa fonction muséographique. Les couvertures n’offraient plus de protection contre les eaux pluviales. La mise hors d’eau du bâtiment fut donc la priorité et donna lieu à un remaniement des tuiles rondes du toit. A cette occasion, les éléments de charpente détériorés furent remplacés, et une isolation thermique mise en place. Les façades sud, firent l’objet d’un rejointoiement des maçonneries, qui furent enduites d’un mortier de chaux grasse. Les piliers de la galerie sud-ouest et les encadrements des baies furent lavés et brossés. Sur la rue de la République, pour éviter la dégradation des parements par remontée des eaux, une galerie ventilée de drainage fut aménagée au pied de la façade. Conjointement à ces travaux, on poursuivit le réaménagement du second étage du musée, afin de pouvoir présenter au public la totalité des collections : réfection intérieur des salles et des charpentes, consolidation du plancher, confection d’un nouveau carrelage à l’ancienne. Enfin la mise aux normes des réseaux d’eau et d’électricité et l’installation de vitrines d’exposition permirent l’ouverture au public des nouvelles salles en 1987." (visit link)
Adresse (from Merimee DB): Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur ; Bouches-du-Rhône ; Arles

Dénomination (from Merimee DB): collège ; hôtel

Eléments protégés MH (from Merimee DB):
Ruines d'un temple antique, dans la cour du collège : classement par arrêté du 2 septembre 1905 - Bâtiments anciens (ancien hôtel de Laval-Castellane) limités par les escaliers ayant accès dans la cour du collège : classement par arrêté du 11 juin 1907 - Ancienne chapelle du collège : classement par arrêté du 6 octobre 1921 - Façades sur rue et sur cour et les toitures du bâtiment sud élevé au 18e siècle : classement par arrêté du 11 janvier 1944


Date de protection MH (preferred) or Date versement (Merimee DB): 1/1/1654

Relevant Website: [Web Link]

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: no

Localisation (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Epoque de construction (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
SISABIEL visited Museon Arlaten - Arles, France 11/15/2017 SISABIEL visited it
Blogi visited Museon Arlaten - Arles, France 7/2/2015 Blogi visited it

View all visits/logs