Fort Augusta/Fort Cornwallis and St. Paul's Church, Augusta, GA
Posted by: TheConaways
N 33° 28.523 W 081° 57.659
17S E 410711 N 3704403
Quick Description: Marker commemorating the location of St. Paul's Church and Fort Augusta/Fort Cornwallis in Augusta, GA
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 7/23/2006 12:53:04 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ1Q
On this site in 1735, James Edward Oglethorpe established Fort Augusta to protect fur traders and others in the area. It stayed under British rule until a attack by the Americans in 1781. See other waymarks and markers in the area for a history.
In 1750, St. Paul's church was built to serve the Fort Augusta and the new city. In 1786, a new church was built as non-denominational, and, in 1818, the Trustees of the Episcopal Church took control of it. In 1916, the church burned down, and the present structure was built.
Check out Washington's Southern Tour and The Mayham Tower for more history of the forts and the church.