St Cattwg's - Churchyard - Port Eynon - Swansea, Wales.
N 51° 32.789 W 004° 12.740
30U E 415935 N 5711295
Quick Description: Port Eynon Church - Dedicated to Saint Cattwg - The church building dates from the 1100s & is surrounded by ancient and old graves - St. Cattwg's is located in the seaside village of Port Eynon, on the Gower Peninsula, Swansea, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/7/2013 5:45:52 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ0ZA
The Church in Port Eynon, a seaside village, was founded during the 6th century by St Cynnedd a missionary of St.Cattwg to the Gower. The first reference to the present building was in 1165. St Cattwg's a medieval church located in Port Eynon, South Wales.
St Cattwg's - Port Eynon - A 'Church in Wales' episcopal church, in the Parish of South West Gower, in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon.
In the churchyard, is a memorial to the three lifeboat crew who lost their lives at sea in 1916.
"Due to the rocky strata beneath Port Eynon churchyard and because of the volume of existing graves, it has been agreed that the churchyard at St Cattwg, Port Eynon be closed to all future burials in new graves save for the provision of reopening of existing family graves and the burial of cremated remains in the Garden of rest or in existing family graves." Text Source: (visit link
"Port Eynon church is much-restored, probably built in the C12, and dedicated to St Cattwg. The pulpit in the church is in memory of three lifeboat men drowned while attempting a rescue on the 1st of January 1916; besides the gateway to the church there is another memorial to these men: a life-sized marble figure standing on a granite base. The west window in the south of the nave (produced by Celtic Studios) also commemorates the RNLI, and shows the calming of the sea and the miraculous draught of fishes." Text Source: (visit link
"This seaside village church was founded during the 6th century by St. Cattwg's missionary to Gower, St. Cennydd. The present building dates from the 12th century and was given to the Knights of St. John by Robert de la Mare around 1165. The doorway is Norman and the stoup for holy water in the porch is said to have been given by a Spanish sea captain ingratitude to his rescuers." Text Source: (visit link
"A church has stood on the site of the present St. Cattwg's Church since the 6th Century AD but the present building originated from the 12th Century. Dedicated to the Celtic Saint of Llancarfan, the most distinctive feature noticed by present day visitors is perhaps not the church itself but the memorial statue of the lifeboatman sited in the most visible corner of the churchyard.
This large sculpture of a lifeboatman, dressed in typical early 20th Century garb, is made from the finest Italian marble and commemmorates members of the village lifeboat crew who lost their lives to the sea during a particularly daring rescue attempt in the Bristol Channel in 1916. A further memorial to this disaster can be found within the church itself in the form of a commemorative pulpit." Text Source: (visit link
Service Times from the Church in Wales Web site: (visit link
Holy Eucharist 9.45am
Holy Eucharist 9.45am
Morning Worship 9.45am