Lamphey - Medieval Church - Pembrokeshire, Wales. Great Britain.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
N 51° 40.077 W 004° 52.292
30U E 370575 N 5725766
Quick Description: ST FAITH and ST TYFEI Church - Has a Norman Tower, from the 14th century. The Church In the Monkton Rectorial Benefice, which is part of the Anglican (Episcopalian) 'Church in Wales' in the Diocese of St Davids. Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/17/2013 11:41:02 PM
Waymark Code: WMHW1Y
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
The church does not have its own web site yet, and gets very little mention on the internet as it is often swamped by the nearby Lamphey Bishops Palace.

"The Church of St Tyfie and St Faith.
Is a grade Grade: II British Listed & Protected building.
Date Listed: 14 May 1970
Cadw Building ID: 5962" Text Source: (visit link)

"A puzzling feature is the name. A sign in the village points to St Faith's and the church is so described on the 1st edition 25inches : 1 mile map published in 1866. Samuel Lewis in his Topographical Dictionary (1833) even derived the name of the village from the believed name of the Church - Llanffydd 'the Church of faith'. It was thought in 1786 to be the church of St Faith. The current accepted designation is St Tyfai and St Faith. The building retains its medieval plan and its fine 14th/15th century tower. Amongst fragments of early masonry are a piscina and two lancet windows - re-set. A communion salver bearing the name 'Lampha' has the date 1743. The Norman font is one of the best preserved in the county." Text Source: (visit link)

"Lamphey is a small village with an estimated population of 250 to 300 people being located a short distance from the historic town of Pembroke the birth place of Henry VII father of Henry VIII. The village itself includes a historic church and palace known as 'Bishops Palace' due to its use by the bishops of St Davids. Everything was on hand - fishponds, fruit orchards, vegetable gardens and sweeping parklands. Standards of accommodation were also suitably inviting, so it was hardly surprising that by the early 14tn century Lamphey had become a favourite residence of the bishops. The palace was established in the 13th century. As it stands, it is mainly the work of the dynamic Henry de Gower, bishop of St Davids from 1328 to 1347" Text Source: (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
veritas vita visited Lamphey - Medieval Church - Pembrokeshire, Wales. Great Britain. 3/1/2013 veritas vita visited it