By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Monument commémoratif (Branly) - Auderville, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BR72130
N 49° 43.571 W 001° 56.321
30U E 576491 N 5508727
Quick Description: Monument commémoratif des essais de TSF par Branly
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 8/6/2013 7:26:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMHQTQ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Biquidou
Views: 3

Long Description:
C'est en 1902 que le physicien français Édouard BRANLY mena des essais de télégraphie sans fil à longue distance. En septembre de cette année-là, tout le matériel nécessaire à l'établissement d'une station de TSF à la Hague fut déchargé au port de Goury : accumulateurs, pylônes, fils... Trois énormes trous furent creusés pour recevoir les mâts de 40 mètres de haut entre lesquels furent tendues des antennes filaires. Les télégraphistes étaient logés dans une habitation démontable à proximité. Les appareils, conçus par Branly, autorisaient des communications jusqu'à 300 km en mer.
Les premiers essais débutèrent à partir de la mi-décembre 1902 et permirent un contact avec un navire situé à plus de 240 km en mer.
Les essais furent interrompus par décision de justice car la société française de télégraphie sans fil n'avait pas les autorisations écrites du gouvernement, l'état ayant le monopole des communications à longue distance.
Ce ne fut qu'une étape dans la longue histoire de la maîtrise des ondes de radio.
Aujourd'hui, à proximité du sémaphore d'Auderville, un monument placé à l'endroit même des installations de TSF rappelle les essais menés par Branly et ses collaborateurs.

It is in 1902 that the French physicist Edouard BRANLY carried out long distance wireless telegraphy tests. In September of that year, all the equipment necessary to the installation of a wireless station in La Hague was discharged at the port of Goury: batteries, pylons, wires… Three enormous holes were dug to receive the 40 meter high masts between which telegraphic antennas were hung. The telegraphists were placed in a dismountable dwelling in the vicinity. The transmitters, designed by Branly, authorized communications up to 300 km offshore.
The first tests began from mid-December 1902 and allowed a contact with a ship located more than 240 km offshore.
The tests were stopped by decision of the courts because the French wireless telegraphy company did not have the written authorizations of the government, the state having the monopoly of the long-distance calls.
It was only one stage in the long history of the control of radio waves.
Today, near the semaphore of Auderville, a monument erected at the exact place of the wireless installations recalls the tests carried out by Branly and his collaborators.
Localisation (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Adresse (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Dénomination (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Eléments protégés MH (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Epoque de construction (from Merimee DB): Not listed

Date de protection MH (preferred) or Date versement (Merimee DB): Not listed

Relevant Website: Not listed

Photo with MH logo pictured included?: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
[EN] Include at minimum a complete sentence which reflects your experience visiting the site and upload a photo taken by you at the site.

[FR] Ecrivez au moins une phrase complète qui décrira votre expérience lors de la visite et téléchargez une photo du site prise par vous.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Monuments Historiques Français
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.