McCormick Train Station - McCormick, SC
Posted by: jhuoni
N 33° 54.712 W 082° 17.583
17S E 380462 N 3753136
Quick Description: Originally submitted to the National Register as Charelston and Western Carolina Railway Depot. Now it's a resale shop with a bailbond and private security office at the end of the building.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 7/4/2013 8:38:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMHFEP
The McCormick Train Station is a one-story frame building built circa 1911. The building is a long rectangular building located between Main Street and the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad line. The building has a gable roof with wide eaves supported by brackets. Beneath the eaves are exposed roof rafters. The building has shiplap siding, original sash windows, and the original frame and glass doors. On the west façade is a bay window which served as the ticket booth during the building's operation. On the north façade is the office and waiting room, while on the south facade are large frame double doors which lead to the freight area. The doors and windows on the north facade were altered ca. 1920. Much of the interior woodwork has been retained.
The original McCormick Station was built by the railroad with assistance from Cyrus McCormick. The current depot, (ca 1910) is the geographical center of town. In 1882, the town was incorporated as McCormick with three unique features: built over a gold mine; a planned town; and the first village to be incorporated as a "dry" town in South Carolina, which prohibited the sale of liquor for a period of one hundred years.
The town of McCormick had eight passenger trains a day, which were met by porters from the three hotels across the street from the commercial district.
Source: (visit link
Significance: The McCormick Train Station was constructed ca. 1911 by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad. The present station appears to be the third constructed on this site. The first station was built by the Greenwood and Augusta Railroad (later the Augusta and Knoxville Railroad) in 1882 with the assistance of Cyrus McCormick. McCormick purchased stock in both the Augusta and Knoxville railroad and the Savannah Valley Railroad and through his influence both of them intersected at his land in McCormick. The first train station was a frame building and stood until ca. 1900. A second station was then constructed by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad and stood until ca. 1910. The present station was constructed by 1912 and served as the passenger and freight depot for the community throughout much of this century. The station is no longer in use by the railroad. The building is a good example of vernacular stations constructed in the state in the early 20th
century and illustrates the significance of the railroad in McCormick’s development.
Source: (visit link