By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Sterling - Sterling, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member nomadwillie
N 41° 41.591 W 071° 48.408
19T E 266423 N 4619519
Quick Description: Located in front of the Sterling Municipal Building on Plainfield Pike
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 7/4/2013 9:06:40 AM
Waymark Code: WMHFB6
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 6

Long Description:
Marker reads:

Side One

Originally part of the long narrow area called Voluntonw, this northern scection separated and obtained town privileges form the Connectictu General Assembly on the second Thursday of May 1794. The name give was that of a temporary resident, Dr John Sterling, who had promised the Town a library in return for the honor. Dr Sterling failed to maked good his promise, but a library was obtained by soliciting private donations. The first town meeting was hled on June 9, 1794 at the home of Robert Dixon on Sterling Hill. The first post office was established as Sterling on October 1, 1809, the name later being changie to Sterling Hill. The American Manufacturing Company, also known as Potter's Factory, was the first cotton mill in Sterling. It was situated on Quandock River about the year 1800, followed by the sterling Manufacturing Company on the Moosup River in 1808.

Side Two

Local industrialist William Pike pioneedred in using chlorine as a bleachng agent for cloth and also established for the use of the dyer distillerieis or sapworks that would extract the firt pyroligneous acid made in this country. His son James discovered a process of coloring with a fast black that was superior to any then in use. With the advent of the first railroad in 1854, which connected Providence with Hartford, this made the distribution of materals much easier than before and contributed to the economic base ot Sterling. Oneco, as it is known today, was namae after Owaneco, son of the Mohegan Indian sachem Uncas, who had claimed ownership of large tracts of eastern Connecticut land in early colonial days. About the year 1820 Henry Sabin build a cotton factory here and named the village Sabinville. Smith and Williams began quarrying graniti in this vicinity in the 1850's, an industry that is still active

Erected by the Town of Sterling, the Sterling Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Comission
1980
Marker Name: Sterling

Marker Type: Rural

Date Dedicated / Placed: 1980

Additional Information: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Visits require a photo of the marker or some location referenced in the text. Please also provide what you've learned about this piece of Connecticut history. Inform us.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Connecticut Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
CTBruce visited Sterling - Sterling, CT 11/12/2014 CTBruce visited it
Walt_Felix visited Sterling - Sterling, CT 5/18/2014 Walt_Felix visited it

View all visits/logs