By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kaslo City Hall - Kaslo, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 54.625 W 116° 54.273
11U E 506853 N 5528674
Quick Description: Completed in 1898, this is the oldest remaining municipal building on the mainland of British Columbia. It was the town hall for the Village of Kaslo, British Columbia for around 110 years. The village offices are now in the old Government Building.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 6/26/2013 11:22:16 PM
Waymark Code: WMHDF4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member ddtfamily
Views: 1

Long Description:
Built as a multi-purpose building, it was intended to house the town offices, provincial courtroom, fire hall, the police department and jail, and city crew workroom.

From Historical Walking Tour of Kaslo: Completed in 1898, the Kaslo City Hall was constructed of local materials at a cost of under $10,000 and remains today a major landmark for the community of Kaslo and an important visitor attraction.

Designated a National Historic Site in 1984, the City Hall is one of only two surviving wood framed municipal halls still in operation in Canada and the oldest remaining municipal hall on the BC mainland.

Kaslo City Hall is a building of prominence and dignity, reminiscent of the civic facilities erected in a number of mining boom towns of the 1800s. This building is, however, particularly distinguished by the attractive character of its second floor courtroom. To walk into that courtroom, with its vaulted ceiling and original wood trim, is to literally step back into time.

The basement, which originally housed the jail cells, vault and village crew work area, now houses the Kaslo and District Public Library.

This Town Hall was formally recognized as a Heritage Property by the Village of Kaslo on January 27th, 1976 and was designated a National Historic Site in 1984. It was listed on the Canadian Register of Heritage Properties on August 21st, 2012.

In later years, shortly after 1911, the court was moved to the newly built Provincial Building.

Year Built: 1898

Current Use of Building: Library and Fire Hall

Level of Courts: State/Provincial

Architect: Ewart and Carrie of Nelson, British Columbia

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1898-1912

Physical Address:
413 Fourth Street Kaslo, BC Canada


Related Website: [Web Link]

Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.