Oblisk topped with a statue of a Confederate soldier standing at ease with his rifle.
Inscription on the Front Face (west) of memorial
“Lord God of Hosts, Be With Us Yet, Lest We Forget, Lest We Forget”
Erected by Brandon Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy
1861 – DEO VINDICE – 1865 (God as our Defender)
Inscription on the south face of memorial
Love’s tribute to the noble men who marched neath the folds of the “Stars and Bars” and who were faithful to the end
“Under the sod and dew, waiting for the judgment day”
Inscription on the east face of memorial
To those who wore the grey, “in legend and lay our heroes in grey, shall forever live over again for us”
“The epitaph of the soldier who falls with his country is written in the hearts of those who love the right and honor the brave”
Inscription on the north face of memorial
States rights and home rule, truth crushed to earth will rise again.
Men die, principles live forever, and though conquered, we adore it.
Weep for those who fell before it, pardon those who trailed and tore it.
Inscription on the corner stone
The cornerstone laid by the Grand Lodge of F.&A.M. of Mississippi. E.J. Martin acting Grand Master. Nov. 1, 1907
Excerpt from the "official history" of Brandon.
"During the Civil War, Brandon felt the full wrath of General Sherman's Army as it marched through Jackson to Vicksburg. Most of the town was burned by the Yankee soldiers and most private homes were looted or burned. At the center of the town square stands a monument of a Confederate soldier placed there by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The site of the monument is historic because on that exact spot, General Sherman had his soldiers stack arms while he occupied the town."