Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument - Webster, MA
Posted by: neoc1
N 42° 02.933 W 071° 52.815
19T E 261636 N 4659218
Quick Description: The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument is located on Main Street, Route 12, in the center of Webster, MA.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 6/26/2013 12:32:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMHDA4
The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument commemorates the citizens of Webster who fought for the Union during the Civil War. The 40' high by 18' square monument has five bronze figures, one at the top and one on each pedestal at the four corner of the monument. The sculptor was Finn Haakon Frolich, the sculptures were cast at the Spaulding Foundry and the granite base was fabricated by J. N. White & Sons. The monument cost $16,000 and was unveiled on July 4, 1907. The monument was completely restored and unveiled in 2013.
At the top of a tall granite shaft is a life-sized bronze figure of a flag bearer. He is wearing a moustache, cap and waist length jacket and holding a 12' high flag against his left shoulder. On the north and south sides of this shaft are bas relief carvings of crossed flags. Below, on all four sides, are bronze eagles with wings spread. At the base of the shaft are four equidistant pedestals. Each pedestal has a full-size bronze figure representing the four branches of service: the navy, infantry, cavalry, artillery.
The sailor is wearing a navy uniform and holds a sword in his right hand. The infantryman wears a caped overcoat and stands at parade rest. he is holding a rifle vertically by the barrel left hand over right. The artillery soldier is holding a rammer upright in his right hand while the thumb of his left hand is touching his cap. He has a sack on his left supported by straps slung across his chest. The cavalryman soldier has both hands resting on top of a sword, held vertically with the tip touching the ground between his legs. A second sword hangs on his left hip. Carved granite wreaths are on the pedestals below the four figures.
On the front of the base is the inscription:
ERECTED BY THE TOWN OF
WEBSTER. A.D. 1907.
TO COMMEMORATE THE
SERVICES OF HER SONS
WHO DID THEIR PART
TO PRESERVE THE UNION
1861 - 1865
On each side are four large bronze plaque each contains the units names and rank of the men from Webster who served during the Civil War. There are about 90 names on each plaque honoring the more that 360 men from Webster who answered the call.