Paterson - Egleston Monument - Lenox, MA
Posted by: neoc1
N 42° 21.409 W 073° 17.104
18T E 641232 N 4690818
Quick Description: An obelisk in the center of Lenox MA is inscribed with the detailed histories of two prominent Revolutionary War officers from Lenox, MA.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 6/8/2013 4:46:44 AM
Waymark Code: WMH8W0
A 21' high dark gray granite obelisk was designed by Thomas Egleston and carved by R. Fisher and Company. The obelisk is engraved on the front and back with a pair of crossed flags. At the foot of the obelisk is a marble block; both sides are engraved with a relief depicting a pile of cannon balls, two crossed flags, and two crossed rifles with bayonets. Written across the relief on one side is the name PATERSON the other side has the name EGLESTON. The obelisk was dedicated in May 1882.
The east and west sides of the block are inscribed with long biographical accounts of the military and public service records of General John Paterson and Major Azariah Egleston.
The west side of the obelisk is inscribed:
In Memory of
Major General John Paterson
son of Colonel John Paterson.
Born 1744 Died 1808
and Elizabeth Lee, his wife
Born 1749 Died 1841.
He was born in New Britain ,Conn. Graduated at Yale College
in 1762. He entered the law in his native town. He was married June 2, 1766, In 1774 he moved to Lenox and was chosen a member of the Berkshire Convention. July 1774 represented this town in the General Court which became the 1st Provincial Congress in 1774 and also in the 2nd Provincial Congress in 1775. Was made Colonel of a regiment he raised in 1775 and was one of the first in the field with it after the Battle of Lexington and defended Boston from an attack in the
rear during the battle. Was complimented by Washington in general orders November 10, 1775. Was in the Battle of the Cedars, Crossed the Delaware with Washington December 25, 1776 and was in the battle of Trenton and Princeton. Was made Brigadier General February 21, 1777. Assisted in the capture of Burgoyne October 1777 and was in the battle and council of Monmouth in 1778. In 1778 he commanded West Point and was on the Trial of Major Andre. He was in most of the decisive battles of the Revolution and served during the whole war. He
was one of the founders of the Society of the Cincinnati in May 1783 and on September 30, 1783 he was made Major General. After the war he returned to Lenox and was a most public spirited citizen. In 1786 he commanded the Massachusetts in putting down Shays' Rebellion. In 1790 he removed to Lisle, New York, where he died. He was 4 years a member of the New York General Assembly. In 1801 was a member of the Committee to revise the Constitution of New York State . Was appointed Chief Justice of Broome County, New York. He served in the U.S. Congress in 1803-05. He died July 9, 1808 in the full vigor of manhood in the pursuit of duty in the service of the country he had so
ably defended. He was a soldier, patriot and statesman.
His remains lie in the churchyard. In gratitude for his public services and in recognition of his private virtues this monument is erected.
The east side of the obelisk is inscribed:
In Memory of
Major Azariah Egleston
born 1757 died 1822
and Hannah Patterson his wife
Born 1769 Died 1803.
On April 22, 1775. in anticipation of the breaking out of the
Revolution, he enlisted as a private in the regiment of Col.
John Patterson and was active in inducing others to enlist. He
marched with the regiment immediately after the Battle of
Lexington and went with it to Canada, when he enlisted for the whole war. He was in the battle of the Cedars. Crossed the Delaware with Washington December 25, 1776 and was in the battles of Princeton and Trenton. In 1777 he served against Burgoyne and was in both the battles of Bemis Heights and was at Saratoga when Burgoyne surrendered. He was promoted to the rank of ensign May 18, 1776, by John Hancock. He was with Washington at Valley Forge where he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. In 1778 he was in the battle of Monmouth and the Siege of Newport. On March 7,1779 was promoted to the rank of Major and served on the staff of General Ashley and General Patterson. He was at the evacuation of New York December
1783. In 1784 he returned to Lenox. In 1786 he served in Shays' Rebellion. He was Deputy Quartermaster General under General Patterson in 1787 and afterwards Under General Ashley. He was a friend of Washington, Koscuisko, and Lafayette and was one of the founders of the Society of the Cincinnati. After the war he made Lenox a prominent centre of education. He was as public spirited after the war as he had been patriotic during it and was noted for his hospitality. His house was the headquarters for Army Officers and men of literature and learning. He was always identified with every movement for the good of the town or the state. In l787 he was appointed Justice of the Peace and resigned in 1808. In 1796, 1797, 1798, 1799 he was chosen representative in Boston. I n 1807, 1808, 1809 he was elected state senator. In 1808 he was appointed Associate Justice of the Court of Sessions. Duty, whether to the country , on the field of battle, to the State in the Legislature, to the town in public services, or the family in his home, was never forgotten. His life was full of patriotic actions for the country and generous deeds to his neighbors.
His remains lie in the churchyard. In memory of his public services and his private virtues this monument is erected.