By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Spring City Historic District - LDS Meeting House
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member brwhiz
N 39° 28.554 W 111° 29.779
12S E 457312 N 4369707
Quick Description: This Contributing Building is located at 164 S Main Street in Spring City, Utah.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 3/19/2013 4:50:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMGM90
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 2

Long Description:
From the NRHP Historic District application:

In keeping with the religious nature of the town, Spring City is dominated by a large L.D.S. Meetinghouse (SP-17-75). Ihis elegant stone structure was built in 1900-1914 and replaced an earlier building. In 1973 a stone wing was added on the north of the structure. This addition was designed to match the character of the original building and does not detract from the historical integrity of the Church.

The Chapel is of limestone quarried locally. The main hall is 80' X 40' with the annex measuring 25' X 60' in size. Originally there were ten rooms in the structure. In 1976-78, a large limestone addition, cultural hall, was appended to the north.

The Spring City Meetinghouse, despite recent rennovations, remains one of the finest examples of Mormon religious architecture in the State.

Plans for the Chapel were initiated by Bishop James A. Allred, presiding from 1882 to 1904. The building committee was: George W. Brough, John R. Baxter, Samuel Allred, Henry L, Accord, Simon T. Beck, Nephi Allred, John Hitchcock, Bill Scott, Ole Peterson, Rasmus Justesen, John Frandsen, Lauritz Larsen, John S. Blain, Sanford Allred, and Nels Benson.

John F. Blain was head mason. George Brand, George Byland (both of Mt. Pleasant) and Emil Erikson were chief carpenters. John P. Carlson, Jans L. Sorenson, and Lars Larsen were the stone masons. The building cost $40,000-$6000 being received from the Church and the remainder donated by ward members. The seating was purchased from Dinwoody's Furniture Co. in SLC.

Remodeling occured in 1938 and the cultural hall addition was built in 1976-78.

Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Spring City Historic District

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

Address:
Spring City Meeting House 164 S Main Street Spring City, Utah 84662


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): Not listed

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BFin visited Spring City Historic District - LDS Meeting House 3/20/2016 BFin visited it