Murals - The Mansion House
N 43° 09.365 W 079° 14.764
17T E 642599 N 4779640
Quick Description: Historical mural painted on the side of the Oldest continually licenced operating Tavern in Canada.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 7/6/2006 7:33:38 PM
Waymark Code: WMGKX
The Mansion House was built in the early 1806 during the Reign of King George the Third.
The Mural on the Mansion House
Originally built as a home and store by William Hamilton Merritt, this building was thought to have been constructed sometime in the early 1800s. The building was turned into a hotel in 1826, with a dining room and office built on the main floor. It was in this office that Merritt and his partners conducted business.
In 1859, a fire caused extensive damage to Mansion House. During the rebuilding, it became known first as the Central Hotel, then Haughten’s Saloon. In 1868, it was re-named Mansion House and has kept that name since. The Mansion House is the oldest tavern in St. Catharines and is the oldest continually licensed bar in Canada.
The Tavern Itself
Hope you enjoy the Waymark Visit!
The Blue Quasar