Fort Shepherd - Waneta, British Columbia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 00.911 W 117° 36.280
11U E 455786 N 5429319
Quick Description: Fort Shepherd, built on the west bank of the Columbia River in 1858 just north of the Canada-US border, was a short lived Hudson's Bay Trading Post.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/15/2013 11:30:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMG5F9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wildwoodke
Views: 0

Long Description:
The trading post stood for only 14 years and was in use for only 8 of those years. Opened in 1859, it closed in 1860. Reopened in 1864, it closed for a final time in 1870. In 1872, the entire post was destroyed by fire. In 1909 there was still a chimney from one of the buildings standing, but that, too, is now gone. All that remains on the site is a large stone cairn erected by the Kinsmen in 1951 to mark the site.

When a line was drawn on the 49th parallel, following the Treaty of 1846, it separated the US and Canada. By that time the Hudson's Bay Company had already been operating in the northwest for 176 years, with no specific borders to be concerned with. But now, with a clear demarcation line between the two countries, the US was able to impose import duties on goods brought into the US by the Hudson's Bay Company. The company's only post in the area was at Fort Colville, 40 miles south of the border.

The duties imposed became too onerous for the company, so it decided to build a replacement north of the border. This it did, but only just north of the border. The site was just north of, and across the river from, what was to become the site of Waneta 35 years later with the building of the Nelson and Fort Sheppard Railway.

The company's major source of revenue was through trade with the Sinixt Indian people but trade with the natives in the area was never strong, and became even worse with the move of the post from Fort Colville to Fort Shepherd. As a result the company closed the post in 1860.

With a new gold rush gaining steam at Wild Horse Creek, north and east, near present day Fort Steele, men were pouring into the area from the south and the company figured to capitalize on this stampede, reopening the post in 1864.

As the rush slowly waned, so did the traffic in the area and the company closed the post for the final time in 1870.
Type of Marker: Cultural

Type of Sign: Historic Site or Building Marker

Describe the parking that is available nearby: Park at pullout at heritage marker across river from site.

What Agency placed the marker?: City of Trail Historical Society

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest British Columbia Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.