Columbia Cemetery - Rossland, British Columbia
Posted by: BK-Hunters
N 49° 04.712 W 117° 47.036
11U E 442751 N 5436481
Quick Description: Columbia Cemetery can best be reached through the Mountain View Cemetery. You will need to pass the mausoleum and continue until you see a sign for the entrance to the Columbia Cemetery.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/11/2013 10:14:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMG4EK
The Columbia Cemetery was established in 1899 as the City of Rossland Cemetery and served the community until it was virtually abandoned in the 1960s with no further burials occuring there and very little upkeep being done.
In the 1980s a four year restoration program was undertaken by the City to bring the cemetery back to a state where people could walk around in it and find graves. The Columbia Cemetery was officially closed in 1985.
In 2009, the newly created Heritage Commission began a new project to restore the cemetery with better access, signage and mapping.
This is a wonderful old cemetery and has many interesting gravestones.
*The Columbia Cemetery was established in 1899. It was not the first cemetery in Rossland, in 1895 the Catholic Calvary Cemetery was established on the Wagon Road to Trail. There were also two other common cemeteries just outside the original townsite of Rossland called Laurel Hill and Sunnyside located in what is what is today, the north eastern part of the City.
The gold mining camp of Rossland expanded quickly after 1894 and by the time of its incorporation in 1897 the population had reached 7.000. The original common cemeteries were seen to perhaps be not large enough and they also were surrounded by and getting in the way of development.
In 1898, the City purchased 80 acres to land in Happy Valley for parkland and a new cemetery on 10 of those acres. The dedicated road access, called Park Street was obtained from the Nelson and Fort Sheppard Railway Company’s land grant. The City Engineer, Henry Smith submitted a design for the Cemetery. After 1899, no burials occurred in either the Laurel Hill or Sunnyside cemeteries and every attempt was made by the City in the early 1900’s to transfer the remains they contained to the new Columbia Cemetery.
The layout of the Columbia Cemetery was generally adhered to thought the years of burials although many of the Blocks were never used. Documentation on the Columbia Cemetery is kept in the Museum Archives and includes the 890 burial permits issued by the City and a map done in `963 to mark the location of occupied grave sites. Amongst other information, the burial permits tell us that 79 remains were transferred from earlier cemeteries and locations and the remains of 17 Chinese were disinterred on four separate occasions to be returned to China.
The Columbia Cemetery was used for over 70 years with the last recorded burial in 1971. The Cemetery was officially closed in July of 1985.
*Information was transcribed from the sign.
Official Rossland Heritage Registry
Rossland Heritage Commission - 2010
Reference: (visit link
The Mountain View Cemetery is located west of Trail about 8 km on Highway 3B. It is past the Old Trail Cemetery. It is on your right if coming from Trail. There is also a back entrance from Happy Valley Road, but we would not recommend this in winter conditions.