Font, Curch of St.Laurence, Winslow, Buckinghamshire.
Posted by: greysman
N 51° 56.518 W 000° 52.940
30U E 645559 N 5756702
Quick Description: This restored C14th font is to be found to the left of the main south entrance of this old parish church.
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 12/27/2012 5:19:20 AM
Waymark Code: WMG06K
The parish church of St.Laurence in Winslow is basically a C14th build, with nave, north and south aisles, west tower and chancel. It was altered in the late C15th and much restored in 1884-9. The south porch was added in the late C15th, and the north chapel and vestry block in 1889. It is of coursed rubble stone, has a tiled roof to the nave and chancel, and lead roofs to the aisles. The west tower is of 3 stages with a battlemented parapet, three-light cusped Perpendicular openings to bell-chamber, a moulded decorated doorway and a two-light window above it to the west which has been much restored. The nave has a plain parapet, two three-light late C15th cusped windows and a small central quatrefoil window to the clerestory. The south aisle has four-light cusped Perpendicular windows flanking the porch and in the east end wall, and two-light Decorated windows to the right and in the west wall, all much restored. The south door has a moulded two-centred archway. The fine C15th porch with battlemented parapet, has finials, buttresses and a four-centred arch on slender shafts to the front with moulded spandrels and an ogee canopied niche. The roof has moulded purlins, ridge and carved bosses. The north aisle has restored Perpendicular three-light windows, small two-light Decorated windows to the left and in the west wall, and a small two-centred arched doorway. The main chancel east window is a five-light Perpendicular window, a four-light Perpendicular and a two-light Decorated window to the south and a small Perpendicular doorway, again all much restored.
From the early 1600s the church began to re-equip itself in accordance with Church of England practices. This included recasting the sanctus bell, providing new altar cloths and a C17th pulpit. The bells were installed then added to and recast when broken, and finally augmented in 2008.
The font is the original C14th font, a simple square block of stone with deeply chamfered corners making it almost octagonal, placed on an octagonal stem and moulded foot. It is placed on a slab of stone arranged so that the officiating priest is raised one step off the floor. There is an inscription round the chamfered edge of the step stating:- In Memory of / Norman McCorquodale / This 14th cen[tury] font is restored by his children 1938.
The font may be found at the west end of the south aisle, to the left of the main entrance door in front of a 1956 window showing Christ and the Children. It has been provided with a timber cover which has iron grid fret-work and a central ring for lifting. The letters ST L are incorporated twice and there are four fleur de lis on the sides of the grid.
The coordinates are for the south porch entrance.
Approximate Age of Artefact: C14th
Relevant Website: Not listed
Please supply an original picture when visiting this waymark.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.