1910 - Municipal Buildings, Mansion House Street, Newbury, West Berkshire.
Posted by: greysman
N 51° 24.075 W 001° 19.432
30U E 616592 N 5695779
Quick Description: Built in 1910 to look like the Town Hall after the old Mansion House was demolished.
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 11/13/2012 12:25:51 PM
Waymark Code: WMFPGT
This group of buildings are Grade II listed, and include the Town Hall, built circa 1878-81, designed by James M Money in the Gothic style, and the Municipal Buildings, built 1910 in a similar style and replacing the old Mansion House which was demolished to permit the widening of Mansion House Street.
Of nine bays and two storeys it is built in similar polychrome design as the Town Hall round the corner facing the Market Place. With a central wide bay containing an arched entrance with faux gabling and a single 'eye' window leading up to a three light, stone mullioned window with leaded lights and a gauged shallow brick arch. Further up on the gable end there is a relief carving in stone of the town crest.
Moving out from the centre the bays are arranged; narrow, wide, narrow, wide, the narrow bays having single light windows (except at ground level where the second narrow window is two-light) and the wide bays having two-light windows. The window arches at ground and first floors are gauged and shallow of red brick with those at second floor level flat stone on the narrow windows and gauged tall brick arches above the flat-topped wide windows. These latter rise up above cornice level into gable ends with polychrome brick patterning. All gables and the cornices are moulded stone with the rooves tiled in small red tiles with ridges adorned in moulded tiles with circular decoration. There are straight string courses at each sill level and string courses above the windows following the curve of the window arches.
The wide second floor window arches include decoration in circular recesses, the outer two simple coloured patterns with the inner two the building date, AD to the left, and 1910 to the right, these two with some coloured decoration round the rim.
Year of construction: 1910
Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]
When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.