Campbell's Covered Bridge (23-25)
Posted by: PFF
N 35° 05.142 W 082° 15.840
17S E 384775 N 3883277
Quick Description: Marks the last standing covered bridge in South Carolina. Located in northeastern Greenville County.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 6/23/2006 6:47:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMFG7
"This bridge, built in 1909, is the last extant covered bridge in S.C. Built by Charles Irwin Willis (1878-1966), it was named for Alexander Lafayette Campbell (1836-1920), who owned and operated a grist mill here for many years. Measuring 35 feet long and 12 feet wide, it is an excellent example of a four-span Howe truss, featuring diagonal timbers and vertical iron rods."
DIRECTIONS: From Exit 5 on Interstate 26, proceed west on SC-11 approximately seven miles to Gowensville. Go south on SC-14 about three miles. Stay on SC-14, passing the intersection with Route 414, and look for sign on right. Bridge is about 200 feet west of the present highway.
There are two entrances. The northern entrance is a narrow driveway, shared by a residence at the end of the road. Parking is limited. The southern entrance is a longer, paved road with ample parking. The remains of the grist mill are visible between the north side of the bridge and the highway.