:THE FOUNDING OF BELLE RIVER" - Belle River, Ontario
N 42° 17.457 W 082° 42.700
17T E 358889 N 4683499
Quick Description: This plaque is located in Ladouceur Park on east side of South Street
between St. Peter St and Centre St.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 10/14/2012 12:43:00 PM
Waymark Code: WMFG0R
The settlement of this area began following the survey in 1793 of the lots fronting on the Belle River. Among the early settlers were many French Canadians from the vicinity of the Detroit River. When the Great Western Railway was constructed, 1852-53, a station named Belle River was opened here. By 1855 a steam grist-mill and sawmill had been erected by Luc Ouellette and others, and a community known as Rochester soon developed. It was supported by a brisk lumber trade but attracted few other industries and in 1866 had only 300 inhabitants. On November 26, 1874, the community now comprising over 750 persons, was incorporated as the Village of Belle River, and on January 1, 1969, it became a Town.
Address or location of plaque: Ladouceur Park on South Street between St. Peter Street and Centre Street
Physical location of plaque: Park
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": None
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Location'
Condition of sign: Excellent
Is this a bilingual sign?: Yes !
What is the second/third language?: French
A web-site for more details.: Not listed
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.