By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Saint Paul Lutheran Church - Zelienople, Pennsylvania
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member outdoorboy34
N 40° 47.849 W 080° 08.258
17T E 572748 N 4516634
Quick Description: Saint Paul Lutheran Church is located at 215 North Main Street in Zelienople Borough, Butler County, Pennsylvania
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 9/21/2012 7:35:05 PM
Waymark Code: WMFAW2
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
Church History excerpted from the church's website:

St. Paul Lutheran Church was organized September 12th, 1821 by a group of early settlers meeting in the home of George Henry Mueller at “Benvenue”, led by Bishop Johann C. G. Schweitzerbarth.

The Rev. Schweitzerbarth, the first resident minister of Zelienople, came here from Germany on June 5th, 1819. He was sent here by Dettmar Basse, founder of Zelienople, to establish and build a church in Zelienople. He was a young University graduate at the time.

Some forty Lutheran churches in Butler, Beaver, Lawrence, and Armstrong counties today trace their origin to Zelienople and St. Paul Church- the pioneer work of Rev. Schweitzerbarth. His pastorate comprised the years of 1820-1852.

Charter of incorporation of St. Paul Lutheran was in effect as of February 20th, 1822; by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania February 28th, 1823. A later date of incorporation was March 5th, 1907.

St. Paul Church has strong ties to the Passavant family, one of the most prominent and influential pioneer familes of Zelienople. Philippe Louis Passavant and his wife, Zelie (daughter of Dettmar Basse) donated land for the church (one acre) and cemetery (four acres). They also gave the stone and furnished much of the labor. The Church was built in 1826.

The original small church measured 46 feet in length and it has been said that St. Paul could be one of the “first Gothic churches in Western Pennsylvania". The church's architect was John Henry Hopkins, who became the 1st Episcopal Bishop of Vermont. Bishop Hopkins married into the Mueller family,who were prominent figures in our church in its early days.

In 1913, the church was enlarged. A new bell tower was added to the north end of the church and the interior was remodeled. The exterior of the original part of the church was unchanged. Henry Buhl, Jr., whose family were instrumental figures in the church, donated the stained glass Martin Luther window as well as one of the aisle windows in memory of his grandfather Christian Buhl. Henry Buhl,Jr. founded the Buhl Planetarium and Buhl Foundation of Pittsburgh.

The church parsonage was built in 1858 and its north and south wings were added in 1907. The educational building was erected in 1960 and is now known as Strobel Hall. The Cemetery Association was formed in September 1910.

William Alfred Passavant (1821-1894), youngest son of Philippe and Zelie Passavant (founders of St. Paul Church) was baptized and confirmed in this church. Dr. Passavant was a renowned Lutheran pastor and founded more than 40 hospitals and institutions throught the United States. He is regarded as the greatest institutional leader that the Lutheran Church has produced in the United States. A plaque in his memory is located in the front of the church.
Active Church: Yes

School on property: No

Date Built: 1/1/1826

Service Times: 10:30 a.m.

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the Church. A waymarker and/or GPSr is not required to be in the photo. Please tell us about your experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lutheran Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.