The Volunteer Monument - North West Rebellion - Winnipeg MB Canada
N 49° 53.991 W 097° 08.241
14U E 633763 N 5529159
Quick Description: This very tall War Monument is in Steinkopf Gardens beside the Centennial Concert Hall on Main Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Date Posted: 8/20/2012 11:28:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMF43Q
It was erected by the Citizens of Winnipeg in 1886, In Memoriam of two battles of the North West Rebellion; the Battle of Fish Creek and the Battle of Batoche.
The monument is stands 12 meters (over 39 feet) high with a 2.4 meter (almost 8 foot) statue in top.
The Rebellion (also call the Second Reil Rebellion only lasted about 6 weeks in early 1885 but there were 128 dead and over 100 wounded.
The names of nine men of the 90th Winnipeg Battalion of Rifles are included on the side of the monument (visit link
) Swinford, Code, Ennis, Fergusson, Hutchinson, Hardisty, Wheeler and Watson.
The Monument, designed by Samual Hooper, was originally unveiled on September 28, 1886 at Winnipeg City Hall. It was moved on July 12, 1962 to the south end of the Disraeli Freeway and moved here on May 26, 1968 and rededicated to The Royal Winnipeg Rifles who had earned nickname the Little Black Devils at the Battle of Fish Creek. (visit link