From National Register Application:
Charles W. Horn originally owned the Horn Mausoleum and it is dated 1912. Horn purchased the plot on August 3, 1912 for the sum of $250.00. The first interment was December 11, 1915. The mausoleum is on Plot 8 in Section 62, which is 22’ wide by 24’ deep. The mausoleum façade measures 21’ wide by 15’ high.
Built of limestone, this structure is eighth along the row of ten mausolea. The date 1912 is carved in relief on arch spandrels, where numerals are divided between century on one side and decade on the other side. Horn is carved and centered on the entablature frieze. The structure is adjacent to the curbed driveway and is engaged to the fieldstone retaining wall. The architectural style is Beaux Arts.
Elements of the composition are symmetrically disposed about a central, vertical axis. Three vertical segments rest on a stone plinth that breaks at the gateway. The façade is flanked by lateral abutments of random-range, quarry-faced ashlar with pedestal bases showing one panel each. These abutments descend from their crest at an angle toward plot sides. They are capped by dressed-faced limestone with a fillet and fascia edge detail.
The dressed-faced limestone façade is composed of coupled Roman Doric order columns supporting an entablature and attic parapet. Columns are set on pedestal bases showing one panel. The frieze is ornamented by tryglyphs and metopes that are distributed over the column pairs. The cornice above the frieze is denticulated. The attic parapet is composed of end posts that frame a screen wall. A blind panel is aligned over the span of the gateway. A rondelle containing a relief ornament of grown and cross is centered on the panel.
A threshold, wall and arch, including an archivolt with keystone, frame an iron double gate. Two equal leafs fill the arch. They are divided in three panels, with the upper panel filled by a grille of narrow blades in a fan-light arrangement and the center panel filled by a grille of vertical bar. The lower panel is filled by crossing mullions.
The gate opens into the vault which has a front loading arrangement of nine caskets, stacked three high and wide, each with an access panel of stone. The walls and arched ceiling are limestone and the floor is ceramic tile.
From Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history:
Charles William Horn, president and treasurer of the E. Horn Company of Topeka, Kan., manufacturers of fine interior and exterior finishings for buildings, has been identified with Topeka's business interests twenty-one years. He is an Ohio man, having been born in the city of Cincinnati, May 10, 1849. He is the son of Philip William Horn, a native of Germany and a farmer by vocation, who served his term of military service in the German army, and after his marriage in the Fatherland came to the United States, locating first in Cincinnati, Ohio. He resided there but a short time, however, and then removed to a farm near Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio, where he resided until his death in 1883. The mother, whose maiden name was Margaret Bahler, survived until 1903, when she too passed away. Charles W. Horn is the eldest of three sons and two daughters born to those parents. The second son, Philip A. Horn, is engaged in farming near the old homestead in Ohio, and Henry Horn, the third son, owns the home place. The two sisters, Mrs. Emma D. Olemacher of Columbus, Ohio, and Mrs. Louise P. Foust of Monroeville, Ohio, are both widows, and the two brothers, Philip A. and Henry, are both widowers.