100 - Mary M. Staley - Oklahoma City, OK
Posted by: hamquilter
N 35° 34.362 W 097° 31.934
14S E 633001 N 3937547
Quick Description: Mary Staley's final resting place is in Alta Vue Cemetery in Northwest Oklahoma City.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 7/15/2012 4:30:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMEWWP
Alta Vue Cemetery is a nicely kept cemetery located on N. Western Avenue between Britton and Hefner. Mary Staley's headstone is a double marker. Their surname is engraved at the center top, with flowers in each corner. The red granite headstone has a curved top with separate light-colored panels for each of their inscriptions.
Mary's husband Manliff passed away in 1955. Mary's inscription reads:
Apr. 10, 1893
Aug. 28, 1993
* Beatrix Potter created her children's book character Peter Rabbit the year Mary was born.
* The Wright Brothers' first flight occurred the year Mary turned ten.
* She was 24 the year Oklahoma became a state.
* Native Americans were first proclaimed U. S. citizens the year Mary turned 41.
* The year Mary turned 49, Pres. Franklin Roosevelt ordered the internment and detention of all west coast Japanese Americans.
* Mary was 70 years old when the first artificial heart was implanted in a human being.
* The Vietnam War ended the year Mary was 80.
* When Mary was 99, McDonald's opened their first fast-food restaurant in China.