"WILLIAM MCGILLIVRAY 1764-1825" - Thunder Bay ON
N 48° 22.936 W 089° 14.748
16U E 333719 N 5361225
Quick Description: This Ontario Provincial Plaque is one of two in front of Thunder Bay City Hall near Donald Street East and May Street South in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 7/15/2012 2:58:54 PM
Waymark Code: WMEWWB
The other plague, only a few feet away, is "FORT KAMINISTIQUIA 1717" (visit link
) ~ the text from the plaque ~ William McGillivray
Born in Inverness-shire, Scotland, McGillivray joined the North West Company in 1784, became a partner in 1790 and its principal director in 1804. Fort Kaministiquia, the Company's wilderness headquarters, was renamed Fort William in his honour in 1807. He was largely responsible for the Nor'Westers' bitter opposition to Lord Selkirk's Red River Colony, but later supported negotiations which led to the union of the Hudson's Bay and North West Companies in 1821. He served as lieutenant-colonel of the Corps of Canadian Voyageurs during the War of 1812 and as a member of the Legislative Council of Lower Canada 1814-25.
'Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board'