Prince of Wales Pier Commemoration Plaque - Dover, Kent.
Posted by: MeerRescue
N 51° 07.132 E 001° 18.819
31U E 381975 N 5664395
Quick Description: A commemorative plaque sited at the entrance to the Prince of Wales Pier, Dover, Kent.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/6/2012 8:19:07 AM
Waymark Code: WMETM3
A commemorative plaque sited at the entrance to the Prince of Wales
THE FIRST STONE OF THIS NEW / HARBOUR WAS LAID BY / H.R.H. THE
PRINCE OF WALES K.G. / 20th JULY 1893.
ENGINEERS - COODE, SON & MATTHEWS
CONTRACTOR - JOHN JACKSON
THIS PLATE COVERS THE ORIGINAL STONE / DAMAGED BY ENEMY ACTION, 1st
The British Listed Buildings
website gives this insight;
The Prince of Wales Pier was designed by Sir John Coode, KCMG
(1816-1892) in 1890-92 and completed after his death to designs by
Coode, Son and Mathews. The foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1893
by Edward Prince of Wales, after whom it was named, and completed on
31 May 1902. It was built by the Dover Harbour Board to give shelter
to the east side of the harbour and provide berths for cross-Channel
steamers and transatlantic liners. By 1905 there was a railway track
along it, connecting with the projecting shipping berths. When the
Admiralty Harbour, consisting of the extension to the Admiralty Pier,
the Southern Breakwater and the Eastern Arm, was completed in 1909 it
became an inner pier to the harbour. It is shown partially completed
on the 1898 Ordnance Survey map, with three shipping berths on each
side, and completed on the 1907 sheet. Early photographs show the
railway track, projecting shipping berths, cast iron railings, cast
iron lamp standards and iron pedestrian and carriage gates at the
landward end, together with a kiosk, probably for collecting tolls.
When the Hoverport Terminal was built in 1978 on reclaimed land
adjoining the northern half of the western side of the pier, this part
of the pier was concealed and the railings replaced by concrete
panels. 1970s shelters and a 1990s cafeteria were also built.