By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Kronser, Joseph, Hotel and Saloon - Greenville, WI, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member REUAHNESIE
N 44° 18.476 W 088° 32.206
16T E 377429 N 4907223
Quick Description: The Joseph Kronser Hotel and Saloon also known as the Greenville Station is a landmark in the town of Greenville and has served as a meeting place from 1887 to the present.
Location: Wisconsin, United States
Date Posted: 7/5/2012 5:46:21 PM
Waymark Code: WMETG5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
"The first building, built in 1887, was called the Joseph Kronser Hotel and Saloon but it was destroyed by fire. After the fire, Joseph Kronser rebuilt the hotel in 1897 and ran it as a railroad hotel with 5 bedrooms and also used as the railroad ticket office. The Kronser Hotel and Saloon was a large two story building and was the center of the town’s social events. The hotel has had numerous owners such as Schreiters, Pegal, Probst, Geo Reimer, Len Ruesh and Tennies. It was run as a hotel, with several different owners until 1934. In 1934 Henry Probst, had an auto dealership for Oldsmobile, Chevrolet, and Studebaker. Vic and Harold Tennie became the owner’s in1945. Vic and Norma Tennie bought Harold’s share in 1955. Kevin and Tina O’Shea bought the building in 1988. The building has always been a meeting place for the community and also has housed a barber shop run by Orv Polzin, a bus station, and a funeral parlor, and a fire dispatch station run by the tennis. Chicken dinners and hamburgers were served for many years and various road crews always ate at the station.

The O’Sheas have restored the building, from old photos and residents memories, to look as it did in 1897. The original wood took endless hours to strip and restore. The Greenville station is on the National Historic Register due to the efforts of JoAnn Babic."

Taken from A History of the Town of Greenville "Where the Action Is" 1848 - 1998

The Greenville station has closed and has reopened as the Bootleggers under new management. The House numbering system in Greenville, WI changed the National Register reflects the old number 246 Municipal Dr.
Street address:
N1865 Municipal Dr
Greenville, WI USA
54942


County / Borough / Parish: Outagamie

Year listed: 1988

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic

Current function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic,

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.