Schuyler Colfax House - Wayne, NJ
Posted by: 79scouts
N 40° 59.258 W 074° 16.756
18T E 560626 N 4537634
Quick Description: This historical marker and house are on Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne, NJ.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 7/4/2012 8:06:10 PM
Waymark Code: WMET9X
Completed as a one room farmhouse in 1695 by Arent Schuyler, the Schuyler homestead was passed to Arent Schuyler's great granddaughter Hester Schuyler who married William Colfax, commander of George Washington's Life Guards. The Dutch Colonial style addition to the originally brick and field-stone building was added by Colfax in 1783.
Despite the 20th century alteration of the structure to add dormers in place of "belly-windows," the Schuyler-Colfax House was added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1965, a decision based upon surviving historic features and the important role the Schuyler-Colfax family has played in local history.
Today, the building operates as a local history museum having been purchased in 1994 by Wayne Township from Dr. Jane Colfax.
There is a second historical marker on the property that has a NJ State symbol on it.
Marker Name: Schuyler Colfax House
Marker Type: Local? Unofficial
This house, which is Wayne’s oldest, was built in 1695 by Ardent Schuyler, one of the leaders of the original settlement. William Colfax, who married Hester Schuyler in 1783, gave the house the Colfax name.
Dedication Date: 1/1/1900
Web Link: [Web Link]
Group responsible for placement: Not listed
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.