"Until the 1850's the villagers of Woodford Bridge worshipped at St. Mary's, Woodford walking there by crossing the bridge, up Snakes Lane and across Church fields. About 1848 a curate of St. Mary's the Rev. Charles Blackmore Waller recognised the need for a church to be built at Woodford Bridge to accommodate the growing population. The Census of 1851 shows a population of 207 adults and 194 children living at Woodford Bridge, working as farm labourers or as servants in the large farms or houses in the area.
Permission was given and building started on the Green formally used for water-cress growing. The stone was Kentish Ragstone and the roof covered with Welsh Slate. The interior was mainly oak beams decorated with silver. The Church had one North aisle and was oblong. The heating was minimal, only the Vestry had a fire to warm the Vicar. The Choir sang from a Gallery at the West End of the Church and the Organ was placed in the North aisle near the present Memorial Chapel. The sermon lasted between 40 and 60 minutes. The middle class gentry sitting in the middle pews - servants in the North aisle out of the way.
The Church was dedicated to consecrated on June 18th, 1854. The Rev. Charles Blackmore Waller became the first incumbent - He was a rich man having connections with the Smith's Linen Bank which financed firms such as Crown Derby and lace firms in Nottingham. He lived in a large Vicarage now demolished but situated near Hill Top Court in Roding Lane North. He had many servants and a carriage to take him into the village and to Church - He built small cottages for his servants in Waller's Close - The large farms at Ray House - also a brickworks (now Ray Lodge Park), Gales Hall now Gales Way, Hill House Farm now a big housing estate and Claybury Hall, now the hospital, provided work for his parishioners. The big houses Thurlby House and Gwynne House also employed as servants many from Woodford Bridge, but the Church records show that poverty was rife as many deaths were among children under 8 years.
On June 1st, 1880 the church was destroyed by fire which started in the Vestry. Mr. Rackham the Churchwarden was the Village baker whose business was opposite the Church - on seeing the flames he had the presence of mind to raise the alarm and save the silver plate and parish records. However the Church was gutted, only the four walls surviving. Work started to rebuild the Church. The Parish was now larger so another aisle was added to the South Wall and a South porch built facing Manor Road. The new organ was built at the West End of the Church with the Choir each side. A local lad was given the job of working the organ pump during services and the title 'blower'. The oak beams decorated with silver were replaced by deal and brass. The new church was re-dedicated on June 1st, 1886.
The Vicar's son also a priest was Charles Edward Waller who married a rich Italian lady from Rapallo - She gave the Florentine marble which was used to decorate the High Altar, pulpit and font.
After the Great War several changes took place. The most notable of these was the construction of a Memorial Chapel in the North Aisle. The plaque there commemorates the forty-five men connected with the parish who were killed in action. Percy Green on the panel is buried in the. Churchyard, near the Vestry door, having died of wounds on 27th November, 1918.
The church was electrified, in memory of Helen Waller, sister of C.E. Waller, in 1929. This was renewed by Mr. A. Williams in 1985.
In the South Aisle the Lady Chapel, the Altar and fittings were given by St. Laurence's Church, Catford, when it was demolished in 1968. The altar reredos is on the West wall.
The rebuilt organ was installed and moved to its present position and dedicated on October 1st. 1967 and the West window was no longer obstructed.
The Bapistery was moved from the South Entrance, now the Choir Vestry, to underneath the West window. The roof was completely repaired in 1979, the slated tiles being replaced by plastic ones.
The original Church Bell of 1854 which survived the fire of 1880 was restored in 1983 by Mr. Norman Burr, who found that some 120 years of exposure to damp and hard work had eroded both the wooden bell wheels and metal bearings which he totally renovated. A showcase in the porch contains the original parts."