A Gate Of Four Names - Rochester, Kent, ME1 1JY
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member MeerRescue
N 51° 23.381 E 000° 30.217
31U E 326313 N 5696118
Quick Description: This Gate is one of the three remaining gates leading into the former monastic precinct at Rochester, and was probably built along with the city wall around 1334, with a lower construction of cobble, ragstone, and flint banding front and rear. Currently known by it's "modern" name of College Gate, it has also been known as Cemetery Gate, 'Jasper's Gate', and Chertsey's Gate.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/6/2012 8:56:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMEJWK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 10

Long Description:

This Gate is one of the three remaining gates leading into the former monastic precinct at Rochester, and was probably built along with the city wall around 1334, with a lower construction of cobble, ragstone, and flint banding front and rear.  Currently known by it's "modern" name of College Gate, it has also been known as Cemetery Gate,  'Jasper's Gate', and Chertsey's Gate.

Chertsey's Gate. This name came from a local gentleman Edward Chertsey who took part in what has become to be known as 'Jack Cades Rebellion' of 1450.

Cemetery Gate. Because it led to the burial ground of St Andrews Priory opposite Rochester Cathedral.

Jaspers Gate. Charles Dickens immortalised this Gatehouse in his unfinished novel; The Mystery of Edwin Drood, within which was the character John Jasper. Dickens  described it thus; 
'They all three look towards an old stone Gatehouse crossing the Close with an arched thoroughfare passing beneath it. Through the window a fire shines out upon the fast darkening scene, involving in shadow the pendant masses of ivy and creeper covering the buildings front. As the deep  Cathedral bell strikes the hour, a ripple of wind goes through these at their distance, like the ripple of the solemn sound that hums through tomb and tower, broken niche and defaced statue, in the pile close at hand.'

College Gate. When HenryV111 dissolved the Monastery of St Andrew which was collegiate as well as parochial, he re-founded  the college under the name King Henry VIII Grammar School. To reach the college it was necessary to pass under Chertsey's Gate via what is now College Yard. The Gate thereafter took the name of College Gate.

The curious sight of a baker's oven set within the interior wall of the arch has stopped many visitor's in their tracks. In the late 19th century the Rochester Corporation made an order that stated every home in the city was required to have a brick dust bin in their backyard (for hot ember's - the fear of fire was great in a timbered city) The gatehouse had no backyard so a chute was built from the living quarters above to dispose of ashes and to hold it back until emptied, an 'oven door' was installed (re-cycling?).
 

City, Town, Village Name: Rochester

Building Usage: Residential

Public or Private: Private

Tours Available?: no

Architectural style: Not listed

Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Original photo of the building is necessary to log a visit in this category, no photos of GPS or person required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Cobblestone Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Velosaurus visited A Gate Of Four Names - Rochester, Kent, ME1 1JY 3/22/2015 Velosaurus visited it
Master Mariner visited A Gate Of Four Names - Rochester, Kent, ME1 1JY 3/16/2013 Master Mariner visited it
dave-harris visited A Gate Of Four Names - Rochester, Kent, ME1 1JY 1/19/2013 dave-harris visited it

View all visits/logs