"GOVERNMENT HOUSE 1832" ~ Kingston
Posted by: Weathervane
N 44° 13.243 W 076° 30.633
18T E 379342 N 4897497
Quick Description: This plaque describes Alwington House, completed in 1832 by Charles W. Grant, fifth baron of Longueuil. It stood on this site, but was badly damaged by fire in 1958 and demolished the following year.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 6/6/2012 4:36:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMEJVT
The text on the plaque reads as follows:
Alwington House, which stood on this site, was completed in 1832 by Charles W. Grant, fifth baron of Longueuil. It was enlarged in 1841 to serve as the vice-regal residence during the period when Kingston was the capital of the united Province of Canada. Three governors general, Lord Sydenham, Sir Charles Bagot, and Sir Charles Metcalfe, occupied the house. When the capital was removed to Montreal in 1844, Alwington was returned to Baron Longueuil. It was subsequently occupied by the Reverend J. A. Allen, author of scientific works and father of the Canadian novelist Grant Allen. Badly damaged by fire in 1958, it was demolished the following year.
Address or location of plaque: In a traffic island on Alwington Place, just south of King Street.
Physical location of plaque: City
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
A web-site for more details.: [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": The plaque is located in front of a large private residence.
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Structure'
Condition of sign: Very Good
Is this a bilingual sign?: No !
What is the second/third language?: Not listed
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"