SACRE-COEUR Parish - Toronto
Posted by: Metro2
N 43° 39.800 W 079° 22.368
17T E 631195 N 4835767
Quick Description: This church was built in 1887 to serve Toronto's French Canadian community.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 5/30/2012 7:52:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMEH82
The plaque is located on the front lawn of the church and reads:
"In 1887, Sacré-Cœur Parish was founded as the first Roman Catholic parish to serve the French Canadian community in Toronto. Father Philippe Lamarche came from Montreal to found the church and served as priest until his death in 1924. The Parish's first church building, located on King Street near Sackville Street, was purchased from a Presbyterian congregation in 1888. Since that time, francophones have been able to worship in their own language at Sacré-Cœur Church. This building was designed and constructed for worship and was blessed in 1937. In 1951 the structure was enlarged to accommodate a growing congregation. Sacré-Cœur has served both as a spiritual and cultural centre for many of its French-speaking parishioners who emigrated from Quebec, the Maritimes, northern Ontario, Europe, and more recently from Africa."
The opposite side of the sign has the same information in French.
The church doesn't seem to have it's own website...but, the following information is found on the Catholic Church website (visit link
"Sacré Coeur 381 Sherbourne St., Toronto (416) 922-2177
Weekend Masses [French]: 18:00 (Saturday), 10:00, 12:00"