"HEATHFIELD" ~ Kingston
Posted by: Weathervane
N 44° 14.717 W 076° 31.347
18T E 378442 N 4900243
Quick Description: This plaque describes Heathfield as a house rented by Sir John A. Macdonald for his unmarried sister Louisa and one which he occupied, while Prime Minister, on his frequent visits from Ottawa.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 5/29/2012 5:52:22 AM
Waymark Code: WMEGVG
The text on the plaque reads as follows:
The house which stood near this site was constructed prior to 1841, and purchased in 1865 by Prof. James Williamson of Queen's University. His wife, Margaret, was a sister of Sir John A. Macdonald, who became the first prime minister of the Dominion of Canada. Prof. Williamson leased the building to the Conservative leader, but retained a portion for his own use. Macdonald installed his unmarried sister, Louisa, in the house, and it served as his residence during his visits to Kingston 1865-1878. Later "Heathfield" was occupied by the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul, and was demolished in 1964.
Address or location of plaque: At 1200 Princess Street between Sir John A Macdonald Blvd and Hillendale Avenue.
Physical location of plaque: City
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
A web-site for more details.: [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": Heathfield was demolished in 1964. The grounds where the house stood is now occupied by the Providence Motherhouse.
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Structure'
Condition of sign: Very Good
Is this a bilingual sign?: No !
What is the second/third language?: Not listed
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"