The Milton Powder House, 1811 - Milton, MA
Posted by: NorStar
N 42° 15.196 W 071° 04.755
19T E 328482 N 4679989
Quick Description: This powder house was built to prepare for possible hostilities with the British and was brought to this place in 1974 as part of the bicentennial celebrations for the Suffolk Resolves.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 5/26/2012 7:02:17 PM
Waymark Code: WMEGC4
In Milton's center, on the south side of Canton Avenue and across the street from the Unitarian-Universalist Church, is a brick building with a short path to it and a sign to the left. The sign has the following text:
"The Milton Powder House, 1811
New England's enthusiasm for the War of 1812 was limited. President Jefferson's Embargo had almost ruined New England shipping. Yet, if there was to be a war, some preparation was necessary. Strengthening the Militia was New England's solution. The building of the Milton Powder House was part of such preparation. For a town appropriation of one hundred dollars the Powder House you see here was built on Church lands at Canton Avenue and Poor House Lane. In it, up to the time of the disbanding of the State Militia, the Milton Selectmen met every year to make cartridges for the annual Militia Muster.
On the recommendation of the Milton Historical Commission and with the approval of the Milton Board of Selectmen, the Powder House, which was given to the town by Aimee and Rosamond Lamb, was moved from the Lamb Estate to its present location in October 1974 by order of the Directors of the Milton Historical Society. Landscaping was provided by the Milton Garden Club.
Bicentennial, The Suffolk Resolves, Milton, 1974."
A few additional notes:
The Suffolk Resolves was a document drawn up by people of then Suffolk County (now parts of Suffolk and Norfolk Counties) in 1774 as a complaint against the British. This document was begun in Dedham and finalized in Milton in the tavern of Daniel Vose, then Paul Revere rode on horseback to deliver the document to the Continental Congress.
Park in the Unitarian Church porking lot or along the driveway near the town hall.
Wikipedia (Suffolk Resolves):