"SUMMERHILL 1839" ~ Kingston
Posted by: Weathervane
N 44° 13.533 W 076° 29.533
18T E 380816 N 4898007
Quick Description: This plaque describes the house built in 1839 by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 5/20/2012 4:53:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMEF2W
The text on the plaque reads as follows:
This house, built in 1839 by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart, was known as "Okill's Folly." When the Province of Canada's first parliament met in the nearby hospital, the members were housed in Summerhill. Leased for government offices in 1842 - 44, it was later occupied by a school. In 1853 it was purchased by Queens College and served for several years as the university's only building. During most of its history, it has been used as the principal's residence.
Address or location of plaque: On the Queen's University campus, just west of the intersection of Arch Street and Deacon Street.
Physical location of plaque: City
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
A web-site for more details.: [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": There are no physical remains at the site.
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Structure'
Condition of sign: Very Good
Is this a bilingual sign?: No !
What is the second/third language?: Not listed
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"