"THE KINGSTON OBSERVATORY" ~ Kingston
Posted by: Weathervane
N 44° 13.511 W 076° 29.370
18T E 381032 N 4897962
Quick Description: This plaque, providing background information on the first optical astronomical observatory in the province of Ontario, is located in Kingston.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 5/18/2012 5:03:09 AM
Waymark Code: WMEEQ3
The text on the plaque reads as follows:
The first optical astronomical observatory in the province, the Kingston Observatory was established in 1855 after a solar eclipse aroused public interest in astronomical studies. Under the auspices of a committee of British military officers and "gentleman amateurs" a frame observatory was built here. It was transferred to the control of Queen's College in 1861 and within a year a new brick structure had been erected on the site. Staffed by Nathan Fellowes Dupuis, an able mathematician, the observatory, in addition to making conventional astronomical observations, produced barometric and thermal readings, fixed meridians for surveying and provided a time service. In 1881 it was moved to Queen's and today four cylindrical stones, former supports for the telescope, are all that remains of the old observatory building.
Address or location of plaque: On the east side of Barrie Street across from Stuart Street.
Physical location of plaque: Park
"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]
A web-site for more details.: [Web Link]
Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": There are no physical remains at the site.
This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Structure'
Condition of sign: Very Good
Is this a bilingual sign?: Yes !
What is the second/third language?: French
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"