Pig Stands Coffee Shop - "One of Us" - San Antonio, TX
N 29° 24.755 W 098° 29.302
14R E 549634 N 3253806
Quick Description: The Pig Stands Coffee Shop is no longer in business, but the Big Pig that was the icon of the Pig Stands has been preserved by the San Antonio Conservation Society.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/9/2012 2:19:39 PM
Waymark Code: WMED33
The history of the Pig Stands Company that franchized the Pig Stands Coffee Shops began in 1921. By 1931, it has innovated the drive through window concept. In addition to their carhops, The Pig Stands also were first use of neon signs, lighted awnings to park the cars under at their "driv-ins." Other firsts the Pig Stands created and popularized were Texas Toast (buttered thick bread that is grilled to toast it) and French-fried onion rings.
The company began in 1921, started by Jessie G Kirby and Rueben W Jackson. By 1931 the concepts of carhops, drive-ins and drive-through windows were in practice. By 1960s, hard time required the sale of all out of state Pig Stands franchizes. In 1975, Royce Hailey, who had been President of the company bought all interests and became sole owner. By 1983, Royce's son Richard Hailey took over as President and bought out his dad to become sole owner. Unfortunately, harder times came in 2004 to put the company into Chapter 11 banckruptcy and by 2006 the State declared it insolvent and forced it to sell off its assets to pay back taxes.
So, from 1921 on to the present, many residents of and visitors to Texas have stopped at a Pig Stands restaurant for a fast food meal. The memories still linger as do the icon of the Big Pig. This Big Pig design was patented in 1933 as the Alston Barbecue Stand Pig, patent 42116 of 18 July 1933. The Big Pig that was part of the Pig Stands Coffee Shop on 807 S. Presa Street, San Antonio, TX still remains. It was created in 1935 by Mexican artist Anastacio Gaytan for the Pig Stands restaurant. At some point in time, this Big Pig was moved south of town to a bar on Roosevelt Ave. where it stayed for decades and deteriorated considerably. Some time in 1989, Hubert O'Con, owner of O'Con's Tavern, where the Big Pig had resided, donated it to the San Antonio Conservation Society. Richard Hailey, owner of the Pig Stands Company, provided funds to restore the Big Pig and the San Antonio Conservation Society now has ownership of it to maintain it. It was moved back to what was the S. Presa Street Pig Stands and is located off the back corner of the former Pig Stands property and faces out toward traffic in the 1100 block of S. St. Marys Street. The Big Pig appears to be about 15 feet high and about 40 feet long.
Pam Easton. "Eatery regaining corker of a porker," Express-News, p. 1-B of 06/30/1995.
Kathy Cruse. "Society Offered Big Pig (Stand)," May-June Newsletter of the King William Association, 1989.
Carolene Zehner. "A Big Pig's Tale," The Newsletter of the King William Association. Volume 2, #9, October 2006.
Art Chapman, "Pig (still proudly) Stands," San Antonio Express-News, pgs. 35H and 37H of 05/30/2003.
Ramiro Burr. "Real big pig returns to Southtown," Express-News, Pgs. 1A and 7A.