First Church of Christ, Scientist, Concord - Concord, MA
Posted by: NorStar
N 42° 27.670 W 071° 20.982
19T E 306809 N 4703656
Quick Description: This church sits facing the Concord Green by the Concord Inn, while the Reading Room is on Main Street.
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 5/8/2012 6:36:54 PM
Waymark Code: WMECXA
In Concord's center, is the First Church of Christ Scientist, Concord.
The church is located at the northwestern corner of the green, where Lowell Street meets Monument Street, and is across the street from the Concord Inn.
The building is a 2 1/2 story structure, with a peaked roof and small cupola at the center of the roof. The front has an overhang that is supported by six columns, and a wide stairway leading to the porch and the double-door entrance.
To the left is the sign for the church. The Sunday service is at 10:15 am, and the Wednesday Testimony Meeting is at 7:30 pm. The Reading Room, located at 20 Main Street, is open from 9:30 to 5:00 pm.
According to an oral history page on the Concord Public Library web site the first group holding services dated back to 1899, when they met in a house on Main Street. On May 14, 1916, the congregation bought the Ephriam Merriam house, which was built in 1832, and turned it into a church. The date reflects the date that the building was turned into the church. One other fact is that Mrs. Eddy had known Bronson Alcott, who was part of the Transcendentalist movement and was father to Louisa May Alcott, who wrote "Little Women" and "Little Men." The Alcotts had for a time lived in Concord and the house they lived in is now a museum.
Church Web Site:
Concord Library (Concord Oral History Program - Robert Holcomb):