By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Golden Boy of Pye Corner - Giltspur Street, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 31.034 W 000° 06.092
30U E 701095 N 5711328
Quick Description: This golden statue of a chubby boy is said to represent gluttony and is a memorial to the Great Fire of London. The statue is above head height at first floor level.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/5/2012 4:31:22 AM
Waymark Code: WMEC16
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:

The Britain Express website (visit link) tells us:

"This gilded statue of a cherub, set into the side of a building, marks the furthest extent of the Great Fire of London in 1666. Aside from the historical significance of the Golden Boy, what really makes the statue fascinating are the inscriptions that are carved below it. Directly underneath the statue is a short inscription reading, 'This Boy is in Memory Put up for the late Fire of London, Ocassion'd by the Sin of Gluttony, 1666.'

The intriguing theory that the Great Fire was the result of gluttony was put forward by a contemporary preacher, who stated that if the fire had been heavenly retribution for lewdness it would have started at Drury Lane (haunt of actresses and a byword for licentious behaviour), or if for blasphemy it would have begun at Billingsgate (where the fishmongers were known for their colourful language), or if untruthfulness was the sin, then everything from Westminster Hall to the City would have been levelled! But, he concluded, the fire began at Pudding Lane and ended at Pye Corner. So, the, er, logical conclusion to be drawn was that the fire was a sign of God's displeasure for gluttony. But there's more; here is the inscription at the base of the building:

'The boy at Pye Corner was erected to commemorate the staying of the Great Fire, which beginning at Pudding Lane was ascribed to the sin of gluttony when not attributed to the Papists as on the Monument and the boy was made prodigiously fat to enforce the moral. He was originally built into the front of a public house called the Fortune of War, which used to occupy this site, and was pulled down in 1910.

The Fortune of War was the chief house of call north of the river for resurrectionists in body snatching days. The landlord used to show the room where on benches round the walls the bodies were placed labelled with the snatcher's names waiting till the surgeons at Saint Bartholomew's could run round and appraise them.'
"

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.