Old Town Presbyterian Mission Church - Las Vegas, New Mexico
Posted by: BruceS
N 35° 35.372 W 105° 13.598
13S E 479468 N 3938446
Quick Description: Historic former Presbyterian church in Las Vegas, New Mexico.
Location: New Mexico, United States
Date Posted: 5/4/2012 7:41:02 PM
Waymark Code: WMEBZH
The Presbyterian Mission was established in 1870. Construction of the church building was begun in 1871 and was completed in 1873. The church is constructed of adobe. It is noted as the only attempt in New Mexico at a classical temple facade. Services were held in the church until 1960 when the congregation merged with another congregation in town. Beginning in the 1970s the church served as the Samaritan House, the only homeless shelter in Las Vegas, as well as a used clothing store which helps meet the financial needs of Samaritan House. By the late 1990s the building had deteriorated and was need of restoration. Through community effort extensive restoration work has been done over the last several years. The building is being converted to a community center to serve the Old Town section of Las Vegas.
Presbyterian Denomination: Vacant/Inactive
Status: Converted to other use
1413 Chavez St.
Las Vegas, New Mexico United States
Date Built: 1871
Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]
Architect: Not listed
Give the date and short description of your visit. Additional photos are encouraged.
|There are no logs for this waymark yet.