Dickinson/South Middleton Township Boundary - Briarwood LN
Posted by: Ernmark
N 40° 09.432 W 077° 13.860
18T E 309991 N 4447591
Quick Description: Monument placed along the NW side of Briarwood LN in 2012 to mark the official border between Dickinson & South Middleton Townships in Cumberland County, PA.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 5/3/2012 4:46:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMEBPY
The placement of a number of survey marks puts to rest a border dispute dating back to an original survey done in 1859. Over the ensuing 100+ years, the position of the exact border fell into dispute as all but one of the original survey 'monuments' had disappeared. After no resolution was able to be agreed to by the affected townships, The matter was presented to the County of Cumberland, which ordered the border be re-surveyed to be as close as possible to what was believed to be the 1859 line. This resulted in the line being shifted to the west at the northern end of the border & to the east toward the southern end of the border. The implications of this mostly affected property taxes as some properties shifted townships, and also which school district affected residents would attend.
In order to lend permanence to the new line, aluminum disks have been set in round concrete monuments along the border.
This marker is located on the N corner of the intersection of Briarwood LN & W Oakwood RD - about 20' NW from the centerline of the Briarwood LN and about 1' W of an aluminum sign (offset into S. Middleton Twp.) noting the township name on opposite sides. The marker is about 30' NE of the centerline of W Oakwood DR
Note: Each disk is factory stamped (appears to be produced by Berntsen International, Inc. - (visit link
) ) with "MUNICIPAL BOUNDARY" and "99-397 MISC" with "2012" as the monumentation date.