Memorial Fountain - Marke Wood, Walmer, Kent, CT14 7LF
Posted by: MeerRescue
N 51° 12.421 E 001° 23.889
31U E 388102 N 5674065
Quick Description: A former drinking fountain erected in Marke Wood, a recreation ground gifted to the people of Deal in 1927.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/3/2012 9:37:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMEBMC
This former double sided drinking fountain has a bronze plaque attached
inscribed; THESE GROUNDS / AND FOUNTAIN / WERE GIFTED BY / ROSAMOND / COUNTESSA
DI SANT ELIA / IN AFFECTIONATE/ MEMORY OF THE / WISHES OF HER / MOTHER / AGNES
MARKE WOOD / OF WALMER PLACE
In the early twentieth century Walmer and Deal were fortunate to have several
wealthy residents who supported the development of many community spaces and
resources. The Marke Wood family were residents of Walmer Place, a grand manor
house with large gardens that Mrs Marke Wood often opened for charitable and
fund raising events for organisations such as the Girl Guides and the Scouts.
One of Mrs Marke Wood's biggest contributions to the area was the purchase and
provision of a permanent recreation ground for all the public to use. In 1926
Mrs Marke Wood began proceedings to buy a plot of land on the Walmer Castle
Meadow but was refused, she then pursued the purchase of the land between the
Walmer Place estate and the Dover Road from Transvall and Rhodesian Estates Ltd.
Unfortunately Mrs Marke Wood died in May 1927 but her daughter the Contessa di
Sant'Elia continued negotiations and the purchase of the land for £2500.
The Contessa di Sant'Elia unveiled a memorial fountain to her mother, which
depicts children playing, at the inaugural opening of the park on 2nd August
1930. The fountain still stands and is the only reminder, except for the name,
of the park's origins and development.