Pennsylvania Columns - Valley Forge, PA
N 40° 05.312 W 077° 26.326
18T E 292085 N 4440434
Quick Description: One of the more notable monuments are these two gigantic, free-standing columns topped with eagles which pay homage to Revolutionary War generals.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 5/1/2012 7:33:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMEBCR
The Pennsylvania Columns were constructed in stages. The columns were built c. 1908, and the eagles and bronze reliefs of Pennsylvania generals were added in 1910. Sculptor Henry Bush-Brown of Newburgh, New York was the artist.
The Pennsylvania Columns were started in 1909 but a lack of funds prevented its completion until 1912. The monument, which flanks Outer Line Drive, features two tall granite columns. At the base of each column there are two bronze plaques containing the bas-relief busts of two military officers--Colonel William Irvine and Adjutant General Joseph Reed; Major General Arthur St. Clair and Brigadier General John Cadwalader; Brigadier General John Armstrong and Brigadier General J. Peter G. Muhlenberg; Lieutenant Colonel Josiah Harman and Major General Thomas Mifflin. On the top of each column there is a bronze eagle with outspread wings, standing on a granite ball.