Terry's Texas Ranger Monument - Austin, TX
N 30° 16.438 W 097° 44.445
14R E 621121 N 3349814
Quick Description: Terry's Texas Rangers Monument is one of the four early monuments placed on the Texas Capitol south lawn as prominent monuments for the Capitol Square's Great Walk.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/1/2012 4:47:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMEBBN
The surviving verterans of the Eighth Texas Calvery, better known as Terry's Texas Rangers, sponsored the erection of this large monument to commemorate this provisional army of the Confederate States. The Confederate States existed from 1861 to 1865. The Texas army that served the Confederacy contained in it the Eighth Texas Calvary. After the Civil War ended, the survivors of the Eighth Texas Calvary funded this monument and got it installed on the yard of the Texas Capitol in 1907. The bronze horse and horseman representing these Confederate calvary unit from Texas was sculpted by the famous artist Pompeo Coppini. When facing the monument from the center walkway of the Great Walk, the bronze plaque on the granite base under the horse and rider reads, " In commemoration of the valor of the Eighth Texas Calvary better known as 'Terry's Texas Rangers' Provisional Army of the Confederate States 1861-1865 Erected 1907 by surviving comrades"
There is a separate bronze informational plaque near the same center walkway that states concerning this monument, "Coppini also produced the bronze figure on horseback for the granite Terry’s Texas Rangers Monument, erected in 1907 by survivors of the Eighth Texas Calvary."
Date Installed or Dedicated: 1/1/1907
Name of Government Entity or Private Organization that built the monument: Confederate survivors of the Eighth Texas Calvary, AKA: Terry's Texas Rangers
Union, Confederate or Other Monument: Confederate
Related Website: [Web Link]
Photo or photos will be uploaded.: yes
To log a visit, a waymarker must visit the monument or memorial in person and post a photo. Personal observations and comments will be appreciated.