Cut Bench Mark - Blessed St Mary's Church, Walmer, Kent, UK.
Posted by: MeerRescue
N 51° 12.195 E 001° 23.209
31U E 387302 N 5673664
Quick Description: A cut bench mark on (Old) Blessed St Mary's Church, Church Street, Walmer, Kent.
Location: South East England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/1/2012 5:11:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMEB7X
This cut bench mark can
be found on the north-west corner of Blessed St Mary's (Old) Church.
Blessed St Mary's (Old) Church
was Walmer's original parish church built around 1120. At first it was a private
chapel of the d'Auberville family who lived in the adjacent moated 'Walmer
Court'. The church was built inside the moated area. For centuries it was
administered from Langdon Abbey which had been founded by the d'Auberville
family. The abbots appointed one of the monks as priest to Walmer. After the
dissolution of the monasteries during the reformation the church became the
responsibility of the Archbishop of Canterbury who subsequently appointed the
By the end of the 18th
century Walmer had grown considerably and the church was not big enough for all
who attended services there. In 1826 the church was enlarged and extended
to the north, the interior altered to face south. After nearly a hundred years
this extension was demolished taking the building back to its original form.
However, by the mid 19th century, with further population growth to the north of
Walmer nearer the sea, the church was once again too small and poorly located,
with many worshippers now attended nearby St Saviour's and St Mary's churches.
As befits a military town
the church, it contains memorials to army and navy officers, the most important
being the hatchment of The Duke of Wellington. He was Lord Warden of the Cinque
Ports and a frequent worshipper in the church. When he died at Walmer Castle a
hatchment was carried in front of the cortege to the station and it now hangs in
the church. Sadly, like many other churches, this one too is often found locked.