The Battle of Front Royal: Rose Hill
N 38° 55.814 W 078° 11.561
17S E 743349 N 4312782
Quick Description: The advancing Confederate army was brought to a halt when fired upon by Union artillery from a nearby hill. Rose Hill was a home caught in the middle.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 4/29/2012 3:59:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMEAY8
In 1862, Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson was sent to take command of the forces in Shenandoah Valley since it was an important source of supplies and a possible route for invading the north, including Washington, D.C. In February 1862, Gen. George McClellan took control of the Union army and planned an assault on Richmond, Virginia from the coast (Peninsula Campaign). Jackson was ordered the hold down the Federal troops in the Valley to prevent them from reinforcing McClellan. Even with a small army of poorly-trained troops and defeat at Kernstown in March, Jackson succeeded with brilliant strategies and maneuvers to maintain control of the Valley and prevent McClellan from receiving any help. Indeed, it would be Jackson who would reinforce Gen. Robert E. Lee in successfully defending Richmond against McClellan.
On May 23, Jackson defeated the 1st Maryland Regiment USA under Union Col. John Kenly sent to Front Royal to guard the bridge and railroad over the North and South Fork of the Shenandoah River and protect Gen. Nathaniel Banks' position in nearby Strasburg. With Jackson was the 1st Maryland CSA which dubbed the Battle of Front Royal as the Battle of Brother Against Brother.
The Battle of Front Royal Driving Tour is a site on the Civil War Discovery Trail that starts at the Front Royal Visitors Center and follows the battle through modern-day Front Royal.
The sixth stop on the tour is Rose Hill, a home that was occupied by the widow Richardson and her three daughters. The Confederate army had steadily advanced through Front Royal pushing Union Col.John Kenly's troops north through town. The Confederates came to an abrupt halt and were forced to take cover behind a stone wall when they were fired upon from Richardson's Hill by Union artillery. Cannon balls flew over Rose Hill and the occupants took cover in the cellar. After the battle, the Richardsons were kept busy feeding hundreds of soldiers and tending to the wounded.
Rose Hill still stands on Richardson's Hill and is privately-owned.